View Member's Race Log
Sacramento, CA
http://www.tbfracing.com/04_eventdesc/04_tfr.htm
Total Time = 3h 07m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at dark thirty at Lisa's friends Darryl and Joe's. Cup of coffee, bowl of fruit and half a bagel with some slices of cheese. Started drinking water.
Got in the car and got to the site right when they opened up at 6:30.
Event warmup:

Set up transition area, checked in, got our numbers. Lisa made a good call. We walked over to the swim start, then swim finish, walked up from there to the Transition area to mark where we were set up. Then walked out where the bikes went, walked back in where we dismounted, found our positions, then walked out to the run area...Then we did a bike and run warm-up, put on the wet suits and went down to wait for our start.
Swim
  • 28m
  • 1636 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. Hit the second buoy and found my groove. I found myself getting anxious around others and wanting to speed up, but kept the mental dialogue..."swim your own race, swim your own race"
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my stroke. I would lose it during the swim. I know more than ever it's not about powering out the swim but about TECHNICQUE. I'm thinking of doing a masters class to become a more efficient swimmer. Overall, I was very happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I took my time here. Took a couple of deep breahs. We had made bottles of endurox and cytomax so were ready. i slammed a serviing of endurox down, did a gu gel and lots of water. Made sure to stop and think before I acted which helped a lot. I think I can finesse it a bit more to take some time off in the future, but wanted to not rush myself as this was my first oly.

I have to think on this.
Bike
  • 1h 25m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 17.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I had to go pee all thru the bike course and was trying to figure out a strategic way to hit the bathroom during T2 without adding too much time. THe course was flat. I used my aerobars, tucked and just tried to ride. I found myself constantly looking at my bike computer, trying to keep the pace up and burning out mylegs in the beginning. I kept trying to talk myself down to no avail...then my bike computer stopped working. It was a blessing in disguise. Forced me just to ride my own race. I knew enough at the end ot keep my legs loose, try to spin out and prepare for the run.

Need to work on endurance and sprints. I'm thinking of taking spinning classes to pull up my speed.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Again, deeeeeep breath.
Sat down, put on my shoes. Slammed the second bottle of Endurox, had a gu and Cytomax. Heard someone behind me and my mom and her husband were there! How neat!!!

It was a good transition. I was happy with it.
Run
  • 68m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I was feeling freakin' GREAT!
I started the run and just went into my head and tried to find my rhythm. I was smiling and grinning and feeling good. It was an out and back course so by the time I started the elite's were coming back in...everyone I saw I gave them a "good job" "You're almost there." I was so happy for everyone. hahahaha. I hit the first mile marker and clocked myself and was doing 9 min. miles!!! Slowed it down a bit. By the time I hit the turnaround I was tiring. By mile 4 I was walking up the hills but then would pick it back up. The last mile was a struggle but I hit about 3/4 mile away from the finish and just told myself to keep plodding along...which I did. Lisa met me at the beginning of the shoot and I raised my arms and yelled "Hoody Hoo" I was so freakin' tired, but felt so freakin' proud of myself. Hit the finish and raised my arms with a big fat grin on my face.

THe run will be my focus the next couple months. I know I can do it. I'm going to work to bring down those times. Overall, the best 10k I ever posted...with or without doing the bike and swim as well.
Post race
Warm down:

drank, drank, drank...
felt really good, tho.
Didn't start tightening up til we got in the car to drive back to the house and then the bod started tightening up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have a benchmark. I'm going to work on my swim technique, build up my bike endurance and bring down my run times. I'm planning to go sub 3 next Oly I do.

Event comments:

I did it.
Tri by 35, baby.
I'm proud of myself.

Last updated: 2004-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:00 | 1636 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: 5 buoys set up in a counter clockwise direction. THe water was like glass and very warm. No waves, no whitecaps. This helped tremendously. The water was pretty clear as well.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:00 | 24.8 miles | 17.51 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat course, out and back, lots of rollers but no bad climbs. It was a great course if you don't like climbing but that meant...no recovery areas!!! You pedaled the whole time.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:68:00 | 06.2 miles | 10m 58s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: fire trails with a lot of rollers. It was out in the open and it was FREAKIN' HOT! They had aid stations set up at throughout the course and I grabbed a cytomax and water at each one. cytomax to drink, water, under the hat....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes