General Discussion Race Reports! » Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tampa, Florida
United States
Gasparilla Distance Classic Association
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 16m 6s
Overall Rank = 4690/6637
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 462/658
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4. Normal ablutions, and had my medical shake for breakfast. Grandpa arrived at 5 and we hustled out the door. Parked in our normal lot near the bank and still ended up being the first in our group at the palm tree.
Event warmup:

It was a little chilly, but not bad. Mike wanted to jog to the start, but I wasn't quite up for that -- still nervous about my breathing at that point. So we just did a brisk walk. We were both hacking a lot at that point. Met up with our friends at the tree and took a few pictures. Went down the chute right at 6 and didn't even hear the start gun -- just saw the mass of humanity and walked through. Crossed the start at around 7 minutes into the thing.
Run
  • 3h 16m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out faster than I intended (isn't that always the way?) and ran the first mile or so with my darling husband, who took it slow since he's also been sick. Then Mike took off and I just kept on chugging. And chugging. And chugging. The folks on Davis Islands were very kind, and it was so peaceful -- watching the sun come up over the water, folks in their driveways cheering us along. I tried to be good about saying thank you to all of the support personnel and spectators. Was very proud of myself that I did not walk that entire time, even on the overpasses up onto the island and off again.

Made it most of the way down Bay Shore, too, without stopping. Finally at around mile 9 or so I had to slow to a walk (and around mile 10, I had to stop for a porta potty!). I kept watching the other side of the road, looking for Mike and our other friends, and not seeing them. When I finally decided to stop looking is when Mike found me -- let out a heck of a whoop and just gave me such a boost! About a mile after that, though, I did have to just walk a bit.

Soon after the turn around, I met up with a guy named Eugene who was running and walking about as much as I was. We struck up a conversation and ended up doing the last 4-5 miles together. Mostly jogging, but about a mile or two of walking, too. Toward the end, he was such a help -- really pushed me to run more when I didn't feel like I could.

We decided we had to run the last mile, darn it. We started running again, and I felt like I couldn't, but Eugene pushed me to keep moving to the misters. We walked through those, and then started running again. Finally, in that home stretch, I was so ready to just. be. done. already! And so I started running faster to just get my butt over the line. They mangled my name, but they still announced it. First half marathon, in the books!
What would you do differently?:

More training. What else is new?
Post race
Warm down:

Got through the chute and Eugene and I got our picture taken together. Mike re-entered the chute area and came and found me, and I introduced him to my last-three-miles helper. Found our friends again and went to get food and drink -- gotta love a town where the post-race food is Cuban! Had salad, beans, and a little rice and meat and sat with the crew for a while. It was hard to sit, and even harder to stand up again. Felt better to stand and keep walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lungs and my legs. Seriously, though, i really needed to train more than I did. I would really like to be able to do this in under 3 hours next time!

Event comments:

This is a very well done race. The course is just beautiful, they have plenty of volunteers, and a the best post-race catering on the planet (thanks Columbia!!). Makes me proud to live in Tampa.

Last updated: 2010-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
03:16:06 | 13.1 miles | 14m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 462/658
Overall: 4690/6637
Performance: Average
1 17m 03s 1.00 miles 17m 03s /mile 2 13m 41s 1.00 miles 13m 41s /mile 3 14m 20s 1.00 miles 14m 20s /mile 4 13m 59s 1.00 miles 13m 59s /mile 5 13m 44s 1.00 miles 13m 44s /mile 6 13m 52s 1.00 miles 13m 52s /mile 7 14m 45s 1.00 miles 14m 45s /mile 8 15m 23s 1.00 miles 15m 23s /mile 9 16m 29s 1.00 miles 16m 29s /mile 10 16m 18s 1.00 miles 16m 18s /mile 11 15m 09s 1.00 miles 15m 09s /mile 12 16m 33s 1.00 miles 16m 33s /mile 13 15m 11s 1.00 miles 15m 11s /mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-27 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon

2011-02-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3374379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon
A FEW PHOTOS:

My husband and me at the start:
Mike and Dineen

Running together in the first mile:

Running uphill

With medal:

Edited by dinabean 2011-02-27 7:27 PM
2011-02-28 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Wow.  How do you feel today?  I really don't think I would have done it but if you're feeling okay today then that's awesome and I'm glad you took the chance.  You'll kill the next one.
2011-03-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3376593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Awesome job Dineen.  You really pushed through your sickness and finished the race so congrats. Sorry you had to be so sick for your first half-mary.  I know I told you not to run but hopefully you are glad that you did and don't feel too bad afterwards.  I have raced trithlons with the flu before so I know how easy and tempting it can be to give up so awesome job on crossing that finish line!
2011-03-03 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Oh and I am currently in the hospital.  Our baby girl was born at 7:01am on March 2nd!  She was 21.25" and an unexpected and whopping 8lbs 14oz.  She is rolly like the Michelin Man
Her name is Paige Elizabeth Blackledge. And all three of us are doing well here and trying to cope/adjust to the new addition to our family.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gasparilla Distance Classic Half Marathon Rss Feed