The Cowtown
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 2s
Overall Rank = 1382/2656
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 66/178
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 a.m. and had my usual pre-race meal... oatmeal, banana and coffee and water. Tammy and I walked from the hotel to the race starting area, and I stood in the bathroom line for about 20 minutes with just enough time to spare to make it to my corral, only to wait another 15 minutes or so before then sent us off. Gu and water 30 minutes or so prior to the start.
Event warmup:

None... walking about a mile to the start.
Run
  • 2h 26m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off with the group, kind of slow, but it felt okay. Even though I had gone to the bathroom right before the race, I had to go again by the first water station, so I lost about 3 minutes in the portapotty line, but good thing I stopped, I had a full bladder. I worked hard to make up for the 3 minutes lost and managed to make it back to the people that were with me when I stopped. I made an effort just to slowly keep picking people off, one by one, mile by mile. There was a really, REALLY long hill at mile 9, I managed to run the whole thing, but by mile 10, I was really getting fatigued. Kept running, although lots were now walking, so I kept picking people off. Didn't manage much of a kick at the end, but I was able to run a bit faster. I was pleased with my time, considering the potty stop and the weather, very humid.
What would you do differently?:

Not have to stop and potty, I think I would have been able to PR without the stop!
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled in to get our food goodie bag, then over to get my finisher's shirt and then meet Tammy. We walked the mile back to the hotel... hot shower felt FABULOUS!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just me, I think I gave it a good effort for my level of training...

Event comments:

Good race! I hope they keep the same route next year so I can really compare times. It was a little warm, and very humid and windy. There were water and Power Ade stations every mile and a half, so that was awesome! I skipped about 3 of them and walked through the rest. I ate a Gu at mile 4.25, 7.75 and 10.75, but I was still dragging at the end.

Had a GREAT time with my BT friend, Tammy (TTucker)!

Last updated: 2010-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:26:02 | 13.1 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/178
Overall: 1382/2656
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 162
Course: All paved, some cobblestones, flats and a few short hills and one LONG hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-02-27 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: The Cowtown - Half Marathon

2011-02-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3374458

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - Half Marathon
Great race, Hilde! Too bad about the PR, but potty is definitely important. Glad you had a great race overall. I'm super jealous of the Newtons! Watch out. I may steal them in June at the Indy tri! Lol!
2011-03-03 6:30 PM
in reply to: #3374458

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: The Cowtown - Half Marathon
NICE RACE HILDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown - Half Marathon Rss Feed