Other Country Forums New Zealand » Aerobars Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-28 2:42 PM

User image

New user

Auckland
Subject: Aerobars
Hi Not sure if anyone can offer in advice, but I am the last week of preparation for Ironnman NZ and have just had my bike inspected.  My bike is a 2004 Avanti Kona and I have always had the Aerobars/front barsting slightly down, the bars are the longer type with a curve at the end.  In order to pass the inspection the cycle shop advised I needed to have the bars level.  The shop advised it is safer but for me with only days until race day it feels uncomfortable to have them flat and have the bars turned up at the end,  I feel more stable and safer in my original setup but I suppose I have little choice?

2011-03-01 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3375959

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Aerobars
What do you mean have the bars bent up? My aero bars aren't straight.  What bike shop is telling you to put them straight?
2011-03-02 12:23 AM

User image

New user

Auckland
Hi meant the handle bars are parrallel with the ground then the areo bars come straight out then curve up at the end, where as before the handle bars were tilted forward so the aero bars came out pointing slightly down at the start and the curve at the end wasn't sticking up so high.  Bike Shop was Avanti Waipuna. 
2011-03-04 4:18 AM
in reply to: #3378513

User image

Hmmm, not sure what they are on about and I wouldn't change anything this close to the race. Faris Al-Sultan rides with his Xentis bars pointing down and no one says a thing so why should it be different for everyone else? As long as they are tight and the ends are plugged (usually by gears and brakes, if not plugs) then you should have no problems at bike inspection.
2011-03-06 4:20 PM

User image

New user

Auckland

Thanks for that, yes I adjusted just about back to where they were, slightly pointing down, no problems in checking bike in to transition.  Got through the race in some tough weather conditions, such a relief to cross the finish line in 12:09

2011-03-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3385253

User image

Congratulations, I heard it was a tough day out there and finishing was a major accomplishment.

New Thread
Other Country Forums New Zealand » Aerobars Rss Feed