General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Alamitos, California
United States
City of Los Alamitos and Renegade Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m 21s
Overall Rank = 314/832
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/55
Pre-race routine:

Got to sleep in a bit for this race, which was a nice treat. Woke up around 8am, got changed and left the house. Arrived near entrance 10 minutes later but got held up in entry traffic for a little bit. Parked, walked to the transition area to set up. Found my friends in transition and got marked up, went over the ins/outs of the transition area and made sure everything was ready. Ate a banana. Drank water.
Event warmup:

Jogged from transition to the start area. Didn't feel warmed up enough so we jogged some more and joined a friend for about 1/2 mile who was nearly finished with his 10K race.
Swim
  • 05m 2s
  • 200 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the final leg of the triathlon. Water was super warm, like a bathtub. Seemed like a lot of folks were treating the pool like social hour, hanging out at either end right where you duck under the lane line to turnaround. I may have appeared rude to some but was on a mission to get to the finish, so I pushed through quite a few of them as space was limited, and we were supposed to touch the wall before completing the next length.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, did ok despite the crowded turnaround areas
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

This was a reverse, so T1 was run to bike. Was pretty fast. Took visor & GPS off while running in, threw them in my bag, grabbed my helmet and strapped it on, grabbed my bike and was out of there.

Tied for 2/55 in my AG for T1 time. :)

Nothing
Bike
  • 49m 46s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 16.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun, fast, flat course. Winds made it interesting. Got a nice tail wind for the one stretch so I opted to use that to go all-out for that portion, especially since I wasn't having to "save my legs" for the run. Bike computer read top speed at 32.5mph which is amazing to me on a flat course. Thanks wind! Threw my chain twice coming into the headwind on first loop, had to stop and put it back on so that cost me a minute or so. People were not abiding by the "slower traffic keep right, pass on the left" rule so there were folks everywhere on the course, making passing a tough task. The wind pretty much did away with what was going to be an attempt to average 20mph on the bike but I'm ok with that.

Push even harder
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This was a reverse, so T2 was bike to swim. Racked my bike, removed my helmet, race belt, sunglasses, running shoes & socks. Grabbed goggles and made my way over the very rough surface to the pool. Pebbles and rocks everywhere, which I wasn't expecting as we were told the area would be swept free of debris. There were a lot of people 'lollygagging' along to the pool, just walking 2-3 across the walkway so I was also probably rude en route to the pool, pushing through people at a jog to get there fast. T2 time includes the run to the pool from transition.

Wear flip flops or socks for the run to the pool area.

Tied for 5/55 in my AG for T2 time. :)
Run
  • 27m 33s
  • 3.24 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first leg of the race.

Started out at a super fast pace, slowed it down to a more normal pace after the first mile. First mile was 8:01 min/mile which was too fast for me to keep up for long. Still got a PR on the distance for the run, at 8:32 min/mile pace. Previous PR for this distance, in both a tri and a 5K a few months ago was 8:47 min/mile so I feel good about it! Constantly making small improvements.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to transition area, packed up. Long walk to parking lot was warm-down enough.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Experience, wind.

Event comments:

Fun race overall. Despite the wind, great for beginners or just to do a race for run. Not as expensive as other local sprint tri's. Very close to my house, less than 10 min commute time. Will do this one again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:02 | 200 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/55
Overall: 0/832
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Olympic sized pool on the base - 4 lengths / 2 laps in a zig-zag pattern
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:46 | 13.3 miles | 16.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/55
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Wind: Strong headwind, tail wind and cross wind. (I wish there was an "all of the above" selection for this one). :) 3 loops on the base runways. Wind, wind and more wind everywhere.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 180
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:33 | 03.24 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/55
Performance: Good
Course: One lap around the base runway. Flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-03 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Subject: Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri
Also I did have the mark-up person put a "BT" on my left calf but didn't get called out by any fellow BT'ers nor did I see any others there...

Edited by Rancid13 2011-03-03 7:28 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri Rss Feed