General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim stroke analysis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-09 11:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Swim stroke analysis

Okay tri geeks...I got brave last night at the pool and asked the lifeguard to record a couple short videos of me swimming. I THINK I'm a decent swimmer only because I've been doing it since I was 4, but in reality it has been ages since I've had a coach and it's highly likely that a lot of bad habits have crept back into my stroke.

So I uploaded two short clips to youtube here and here. I did 200 warm up before doing this...and just went nice and easy.

First impressions:

• Holy crap I look S L O W! My turn over just seems VERY slow. I know my kick is pretty much non-existent but my arms look really slow. Good god.
  • I can see there's room for improving my high elbow but all things considered, I don't think it's too bad.
  • On the head-on angle, you can see my right arm comes up higher on the recovery than the left arm...I think this is due to my non-bilateral breathing. I'm always a little cocked to the right of center. I think this is making me bob up and down just a bit, and glide just a little longer on my right side than on my left.
  • Position in the water is actually not too bad - I think my hips are near the surface, head position is good, etc.

I think the next time I do this it'll be race pace. So I'm open to criticism - what say you?

2011-03-09 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3390161

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Swim stroke analysis
Nobody has ANYTHING to say about my swim stroke? Hmmm...I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. =/
2011-03-09 12:51 PM

The Woodlands, TX

I am far far from any type of swimming expert. Heck, my perfered stroke is doggy paddle.

Anywho...I did notice that your right arm sleems to "slap" the water, where your left arm slides into the water. Can def.see it on the straight ahead view.

2011-03-09 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
I'll play along....

Out of all of the swimming videos on this web site, over the last 6 years I've been here.  Your stroke looks like the one I'd least make a comment on for improvement.  If you've been swimming since you were a young age group'er I think you know what you need to do to fix the stuff you mention above.  Nows it's time to put the work in again. 

Other wise.

Stroke looks nice and relaxed. 
2011-03-09 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Pennsyltucky

Overall the stroke looks pretty good. There are two things that jump out to me while watching it:

1. Not much kicking.  This is no suprise to you as you have already mentioned it.  Plenty sufficient for endurance though.

2. Ocasionally you are not getting the most out of your reach.  This could be because it is at a leisurly pace, but there is a drill you can practice.  Start off in streamline ( arms staight out above head, elbows locked, and head between bicepts).  Leave one arm in streamline and do a stroke with the other.  When you come back around with that stroke reach out to put one hand on top of the the one that stayed streamline, do two kicks in streamline, then repeat with other arm.

A little background, I swam competitively for 13 years and am currently a coach for our local swim team.  The farthest race distance we swim is 400 meters, so I am working on a more efficient swim as opposed to a fast swim.  When looking for efficiency I think about getting the most out of every stroke I put in to it.  The drill I mentioned has helped myself and many of our swimmers. 

2011-03-10 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Overall you don't look bad. I guess I would want to see how you look when you aren't going slow. Was that your relaxed, slow speed? Maybe not.

You seem a little close to your midline, but it's fine really.

I never got to see you on camera breathing to the side (need that shot), but it looks like you are breathing fine. Not rolling too much.

Also, it's hard to give a good analysis without having underwater video as well. You have to record from both sides and the front. To really SEE everything going on. That's how I film my clients... and I do above the water as well.

I guess I just question why you seem to slap your arms/hands into the water. Although, I noticed a lot of swimmers tend to that these days. So it might be the "thing". Without seeing what is going on underwater, I can't tell you if it's effective or not.

2011-03-10 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3392163

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

KSH - 2011-03-10 10:32 AM Overall you don't look bad. I guess I would want to see how you look when you aren't going slow. Was that your relaxed, slow speed? Maybe not. You seem a little close to your midline, but it's fine really. I never got to see you on camera breathing to the side (need that shot), but it looks like you are breathing fine. Not rolling too much. Also, it's hard to give a good analysis without having underwater video as well. You have to record from both sides and the front. To really SEE everything going on. That's how I film my clients... and I do above the water as well. I guess I just question why you seem to slap your arms/hands into the water. Although, I noticed a lot of swimmers tend to that these days. So it might be the "thing". Without seeing what is going on underwater, I can't tell you if it's effective or not.

I totally agree under water shots would be really telling...I just took this on my iPhone, I have no fancy waterproof equipment.

This is definitely my slow easy speed. I think I "slap" the water less when I'm at race pace...not sure why.

Thanks for all the input folks!

2011-03-10 2:57 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
I agree with many of the others. Pretty good stroke. I wouldn't want to change a whole lot, but here are a couple of points:

1. Your left arm is crossing over. This will slow you down and potentially give you shoulder issues. So, keep the pull to the outside. Which leads me to....
2. Your arms are kind of slapping into the water. That can be okay but you will lose a lot in your pull if you are immediately dropping your elbow (which from what I can tell, you are, but it would be better if I could see the underwater). Think extension then high elbow pull.

Overall though it's a pretty nice stroke and BTW, nice job on the flip turn!
2011-03-10 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3390758

User image

Master
rwolf - 2011-03-09 3:53 PM

Overall the stroke looks pretty good. There are two things that jump out to me while watching it:

1. Not much kicking.  This is no suprise to you as you have already mentioned it.  Plenty sufficient for endurance though.

2. Ocasionally you are not getting the most out of your reach.  

I agree with this assessment.  Hard to tell, but it also looks like you aren't cocking your wrist terribly early during the catch.  I'd work a lot on stretching out and getting a good early vertical forearm. 

Personally I wouldn't worry about the slightly uneven stroke (most pros have this) or the slapping the water (unless you can't shed the bubbles before you pull).

Other than that it just looks like you need to thrash yourself for a while to get your speed and endurance up.  You can get *plenty* fast with technique like that.

2011-03-11 12:43 PM

It's always surprising to see your stroke on video, even more so for those of us who have been swimming for a while and have confidence in our stroke technique.  Overall you have a very nice stroke, but we all have room for improvement.

Slow arm recovery, which puts additional strain and fatigue on your shoulders because you are "hanging" your arms using your shoulder muscles. You should be able to conserve a lot of energy by springing your hand out of the water at the finish and allowing that spring action to carry your arm around to entry.  There should be very little arm and shoulder strength needed for arm recovery with an efficient stroke.  It looks like your arm is nice and relaxed, so that is good.  Concentrate on finishing your stroke long and flipping your wrists as your hand exits the water at the back of your stroke.  You'll find a more efficient stroke by allowing your hand to spend more time extended in front your while you are gliding, and less time holding it in the air during stroke recovery.

There is something funny going on with your entry that is causing your arm to form an arc over the water, where your elbow is the peak.  My guess is that your shoulder is delayed in getting into the water.  This would make sense if you are using too much shoulder in the recovery, per my previous comment.  I think you need to get your upper body turned over faster so your corresponding shoulder is sliding into the water at the same time as your hand. This should help you get more glide out of each stroke as well.

Your left arm looks like it stays straight under the water.  You can really see this in the second to last stroke before your turn in the second video.  You're compensating for elbow bend by allowing your left hand to swing over past the opposite side of your body.  Need some elbow bend there.  Your right arm looks better, but I think there is some of the same going on here.  This might be caused by waiting to long to bend your elbow.  Make sure you're starting your stroke in the water with a nice elbow bend.  Don't delay the elbow bend when you start your stroke (I'm not saying shorten the glide to bend the elbow, but as soon as you start the pull after the glide, make sure elbow bend is one of the first movements).  This should help to keep your stroke shallower and keep your hand closer to the side of your body, thus lessening the strain on your shoulder and improving balance.

As for your weak kick, focus on starting your kick from your hips.

Drill Suggestions:
  1. Kick for 6 seconds on one side with your bottom arm extended straight in front of you and your top arm down at your side (make sure you're completely on your side), then take a stroke and kick for 6 seconds on the opposite side.  Repeat down the pool.  Do this drill with 3 second intervals after you do a few laps at 6 second intervals.  This will help your balance and equilibrium between your right and left arm strokes.
  2. Swim with a regular stroke, but over-accentuate flipping your wrists out of the water.  As you flip your wrists out of the water, maintain a continuous motion through your stroke recovery until your hand is back in the water at the beginning of your stroke.  Keep in mind there should be a point where your arm is inline with your body as you are flipping your wrists out of the water.
  3. Upon finishing your stroke, keep one hand extended in front of you until the opposite hand enters the water.  When the one hand enters the water, the other hand starts the stroke.  This should help with stroke timing.  There seems to be something funny with your stroke timing, but I'm not the person to pinpoint it.

I should mention, as a few others on this page have, that I'm not a stroke expert.  I do however run a website where we provide stroke video analysis by experts.  We use special software to provide the commentary back to you.  I think this is something you might be interested in.  It's very helpful in pointing out where you are, and where you should be.  I think our coaches could do plenty with your current video footage, but if you want underwater footage for analysis as well, you can use a Kodak Playsport which you can pickup for around $150.  I also saw a new Kodak mini waterproof camera for $80 at Target, but I haven't used it, so can't attest to it's quality.  If you are interested in underwater footage and don't want to purchase a camera, let me know and we can work something out.  But, as I mentioned, I think our coaches can give you plenty to work on based on your current footage.

I'm also working with our coaches to put together a list for posting on our site of common stroke errors and drills to help eliminate those errors.  So you can look for that.

Good luck!
-Chris

Chris Kavanaugh
The Athlete Village
http://www.theathletevillage.com/triathlon

Edited by thechrisman 2011-03-11 12:58 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim stroke analysis Rss Feed