Running Factory
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 39s
Overall Rank = 63/119
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/19
Pre-race routine:

Worked a twelve hour midnight shift, home to shower, grab a coffee and a couple of nutri grain bars, load up the bike and let's go!!
Event warmup:

stretch, watch the try-a-tri start. Got there way too early but i figured if I stayed at home, I would have fallen asleep
Run
  • 13m 12s
  • 1.86 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run, probably a little bit quick early (3:45 first K)...first race since Cleveland, so probably got a little excited. Knew some people too, so didn't want them to get ahead of me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really...had goal scenario in head, and wanted to be out of T1 in 15 flat...was on bike looking at watch in 15:20...Nobodies perfect :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

no issues here, hop on, pedal, reach down, put feet in shoes...was more worried about draft police as it was a pretty significant group leaving at same time.
Bike
  • 59m 30s
  • 30 kms
  • 30.25 km/hr
Comments:

Stayed steady the whole way, geared up just after the turn, but when it became clear the wind was never going to be behind us, decided to focus on easy turnover, to save legs for run...just about 30kph the whole ride...once again, had hoped for somewhere b/w 55-59 minutes (wanted to stay under and hour)...Only second time outside with the bike this year (don't tell anybody :) )
What would you do differently?:

Nothing...
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Nothing worse than trying to convince your legs to run, after the bike, but that is to be expected. Got into T2, racked, helmet off, grab a gel, drink some powerade, shoes on, let's go. Water station right after timing mats, to rinse down rest of gel.
Run
  • 32m 11s
  • 3.73 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Steady...once again, hoping for 31-34...right there, splits pretty even, a little disappointed that there was nothing left for a push the last K, but, thats life. Wife was waiting at finish, with eight month old son, so I ran the last 100m with him...that was pretty cool...really cool, actually
Post race
Warm down:

Grab something to eat, go home to bed, have another 12 hour midnight shift in four hours...gonna be a long night

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Haven't done any focused training, whatsoever. After wife and I decided to lay way back on racing this year (new house, new baby) have pretty much just been running about four days a week, with no goals in mind. Looked at kind of a dream race, considering this, and told my wife i thought I had 1:48 in me...she thought I was crazy...beat previous PR by 11 minutes...nice to not enter this race with a seasons worth of injuries beating me up...Next year will run the tri, but f***ing gym that was supposed to open brand new facility with pool in Februay (the things they tell you when you are signing cheques :) ) just opened last week...thanks guys, a little late for this year. This will pretty much do it for this years races (except Dances with Dirt), so I end on a high note, with some great opportunities to develop goals for next year. Making it through this year injury free, might give me something to build on, too, instead of starting from scratch every fall, after injury layoff...finger crossed...Hope Santa brings me new bike

Event comments:

Great day...too bad I had to go right home to bed and couldn't enjoy it...

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:12 | 01.86 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/119
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on Ganatchio trail...
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:50
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:59:30 | 30 kms | 30.25 km/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course, clearly marked, wind always from side, which is good and bad. Draft police were tough, they stood down a rider drafting me towards the end...I saw a LOT of pretty close packs, why are they worrying about MOP'ers?? Love this course though, fifth year running it...goes past my old house, and turns around right near my current house...just a ride through the neighbourhood :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:45
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:11 | 03.73 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Course: longer out and back on ganatcio. Previously the second run has just been two laps of the first, but this time, they extended the path, to have a one loop 6k...nice touch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?