General Discussion Triathlon Talk » True Beginning Swimmer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-10 8:39 AM

Subject: True Beginning Swimmer

Hi,

I see a thread about swimming at the Middletown Y. I'm not a member there.... yet. I'm starting to train for a Tri but have little swimming experience beyond childhood swim lessons and splashing around with my kids about once or twice every summer. Still.... I want to do this.

Any suggestions as to the most cost effective way to train and where? I can't afford a wetsuit right away - maybe not even this year.

Looks like the mentor program on this site is closed for now or I'd request some help there. Any advice would be appreciated!  - Maureen

2011-03-10 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3391557

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: True Beginning Swimmer

Hi Maureen,

If you arent confident with your strokes at all Id suggest adult swim lessons..if you can manage even a half arsed crawl and are a good self learner there are lots of online even youtube explanations of good drills on how to improve your stroke. I think if you did a swim instruction search on BT you would probably find some good links for these. Once you figure out your stroke its just about working your way to increase speed and distance. I was in the same boat when I started.

Also I may be wrong but I dont think you have to become a member at the Y to partake in their programs..your fee would just be higher than a members fee for whatever program you are signing up for...

2011-03-10 10:54 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State

If you're looking for inexpensive this may be of interest:

Newington Bicycle is Sponsoring Triathlon Clinic at St. Josephs College on Sunday March 13th 10am until 3:30 pm. Dr. Dan Veltri will kick off the presentations  with discussion on Training and dealing with injuries. Following Dan's talk we will spend 90 minutes in the pool.  Trainers will work with beginners through advanced triathletes. Aubrey Schulz is up next with a talk on Nutrition.  The day raps up with an equipment expo featuring: Trek Bicycles,Litespeed Bicycles, Quintana Roo Bicycles,Felt Bicycles,2XU Clothing, Pearlizumi Clothing, Louis Garneau Clothing, Tyr Clothing, Wet suits from TYR, Quintana Roo, 2XU, Equipment from Speed Play, Sidi, Profile, Shimano, Fleet Feet, Team Training New England, Therapeutic Body Works and more.  Should be a great day many raffle prizes.  Reg fee $30.00 Heat members $20.00.  To register phone 860-667-0857.

http://newingtonbike.com/product/11-newington-bicycle-triathlon-clinic-sponsored-by-newington-bicycle-6627.htm

2011-03-10 6:29 PM

Thanks! I don't know if I can make it on sunday but that sounds really informative! I saw adult swim lessons offered at the Y in Westbrook. They probably have something similar in Middletown. Both are about a half hour from me.
2011-03-22 1:24 PM

Expert

where do you live?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » True Beginning Swimmer Rss Feed