Overall Rank = 132/717
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/77
Run
  • 50m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

It took a minute for me to cross the starting line and I started closer to the front of the pack then the back of the pack. Dogs and strollers were allowed and the 5 and 10 k runs together the first loop making the course very crowded. I went in to the race dehydrated and my attempt to hydrate on the way to the race resulting in stomach discomfort during the run. I felt extremely fatigued by mile 4. There were a couple of hills on each loop that definitely spiked my heart rate and took a little more recovery than they should have. I think it's mostly from my lack of hydration but could still be in indicator of my lack of fitness. I didn't go in to the race with any goals or expectations and didn't really watch my pace. I still need to review the Garmin to see the elevation and pacing information.

Lots of participants were in green and/or kilts so people watching was fun. Dogs and strollers make the event very family friendly but also make the route congested, and smelly when a dog poops right in front of you. Kudos to the owner who stopped and cleaned up the mess though.

Race had finish line chip timing but not start line which made me glad I didn't start more towards the back of the pack.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure hydration level is right and avoid drinking gatorade pre-run. If I ever run this race again, I will do whatever is necessary to start at the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Started what I intended to be my mile cooldown walk but then remembered I was going to have to pay for parking if I went over two hours and I still needed to pick up my race t-shirt so I headed back to the finish line area after only a quarter of a mile. I like the race t-shirt design but they went with a non-tech cotton blend shirt that runs a little on the long side.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration and crowded course

Event comments:

The Junior League puts on a good event but given the size of the crowd, I think they should re-think running both events simultaneously. If they want to sell themselves as a Peachtree Qualifier, they may also want to rethink the timing system and offer start and finish line timing so results reflect actual running time.

Last updated: 2011-02-21 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:58 | 06.2 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/77
Overall: 132/717
Performance: Average
Course: Two loop course that starts behind the parking deck at atlantic station, wraps around the front of AS out to Ikea, then up Northside Drive, and back down 17th Street
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-14 12:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: ShamRock 'N Roll Road Race

2011-03-16 6:37 AM
in reply to: #3397032

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: RE: ShamRock 'N Roll Road Race
Good job on the race even though you were dehydrated.

Favorite quote from your report...

"and smelly when a dog poops right in front of you."
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ShamRock 'N Roll Road Race Rss Feed