Greater Long Island Running Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 42s
Overall Rank = 362/612
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 34/48
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early so that I would have time to eat and "go" Had 2 cups of coffee and a bowl of Cheerios, basically my normal breakfast. Sat around and relaxed and got to the race site with plenty of time to spare.
Run
  • 1h 23m 42s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a really good run today. I started out nice and easy on the long downhill. I didn't push it too much here because I was warned that this was a really tough course. The first uphill was long and gradual and started spitting people out.

Mile 6 felt like it came pretty quickly, but it was right about at my training pace. The 6-mile marker is in the middle of a long uphill on a "turnout" This might have been a mile-long section just creeping uphill. At the turnaround, I found out why it was so easy - we had a tailwind - which was pretty chilling on the downhill. I picked up my pace a little around here. I picked up a pacing buddy on the way up and another one on the way down. Just a couple of people going just a hair faster than me that I used to pull my along.

At Mile 8 I picked up the pace a little. I felt good and I figured at about 1/2 mile from the end I would just go for it. I kept pushing and pushing and finished pretty strong, but I was TIRED. This was a good race and a good effort.
What would you do differently?:

Start out a little faster and push a little harder and hydrate a little better
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around, grabbed some food and went home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I held back a little too much. A little more sleep in the week leading up to the race would have helped

Last updated: 2011-02-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:42 | 9.32 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/48
Overall: 3062/612
Performance:
I ran this race by feel. I wanted to keep it relaxed and easy, especially at the beginning because I wasn't sure what to expect at the end of the race. I have to check my data over at sporttracks, but I think I kept my HR down right to the end when I started pushing it.
Course: This was a hilly course with lots of long up and down hill sections that were long and gradual. There might have been a couple of shorter and steeper sections, but nothing that stands out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes