General Discussion Race Reports! » Panasonic People's Triathlon, Maraetai Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Panasonic People's Triathlon, Maraetai - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Maraetai, Auckland
New Zealand
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 29s
Overall Rank = 33/128
Age Group = M20-29
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6am, ate breakfast (2 pieces of toast) and coffee, then drove to the beach.
Event warmup:

Just a quick swim, probably 100m out then back in again
Swim
  • 08m 40s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty good, although I expected to be faster. I think something has gone wrong with my stroke over the last couple of weeks. This is only 10 seconds faster than my first tri where I had a lot less OWS experience and was doing much slower times in the pool.
What would you do differently?:

I think I needed to work on body rotation a bit, I think I'm much flatter when swimming in my wetsuit than when in the pool. Otherwise was happy with the pacing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Arg. The transition was going pretty well, suit stuck a little on my heels but nothing too bad, but jumping on the bike I kicked one of the pedals upside down, drove the shoe down into the ground and knocked it off the pedal! Had to stop, go back a little to get the shoe and put it on. Maybe cost me 10-15 sec. The other shoe went on well though

Should've done some more recent practice at the jumping on the bike. I actually don't think I'd done any practice since the last tri (where, incidentally, it went beautifully)
Bike
  • 36m 16s
  • 20 kms
  • 33.09 km/hr
Comments:

Went really well, very happy with my AG ranking considering I was pretty much the only person I saw who wasn't illegally drafting (I pretty much towed a line of 3 or 4 wheel-suckers most of the way back). I started a bit hard (HR ~175) but largely rode to an HR around 165 after that. Stayed in aero for the whole ride except the turn around and overtook a good number of people.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Got stuck behind some guy running slowly with his bike shoes still on who was blocking my way. A little slow because I elected to grab a final drink from the bike before I left

Nothing, except maybe yelling at the slow dude to get out of my way
Run
  • 23m 33s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 43s  min/km
Comments:

I didn't check out the course beforehand and had no idea it had such a bastard climb in it! Coming down was good though. I was feeling good and planning to finish fast but while I was trying to reattach my number belt which had come undone in the last 200m or so I took a wrong turn which probably cost me 15 seconds and finished trying to hold my number belt on with one hand.

Not play with my race belt while running!
Post race
Warm down:

Sit on grass, eat the free baked goods and drink water, followed by a quick dip in the water to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Apart from maybe 30-60 seconds lost through silly mistakes, I think I should be doing better in the swim - really need to work on converting the stroke improvements I've seen in the pool to the sea.

Event comments:

I wish they'd either get tough on the rampant drafting that goes on in this series, or accept it and call it draft legal. Also it would be nice if they had event photographers and would give transition times separately.

Last updated: 2011-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:40 | 500 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 0/128
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Box course, was very flat and calm.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:36:16 | 20 kms | 33.09 km/hr
Age Group: 6/19
Performance: Good
Time includes T1
Wind: Little
Course: 10km out and back. Undulating hills but nothing too hard.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:33 | 05 kms | 04m 43s  min/km
Age Group: 9/19
Performance: Average
Time includes T2
Course: A quick (300m?) up and down over a gravel trail, then a long up hill to the turn around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-03-20 12:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland, NZ
Subject: Panasonic People's Triathlon, Maraetai
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Panasonic People's Triathlon, Maraetai Rss Feed