Multisport Canada
26C / 79F
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 143/255
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/45
Pre-race routine:

made out around 6:15am, had some fruit and cereal, pickup the all important tim hortons coffee.
Stopped just outside of cobourg to use the washrooms at truck stop figuring they would be faster than at the race site
Event warmup:

Did a little stretching but didn't arrive early enough to do much other than register. Did a quick few strokes in the water to get a little limber and off we went.
Swim
  • 19m 7s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

the water was fine, clean and calm
the group was well spread out along the start line so no real issue with getting hit despite the fact it was the largest wave of swimmers
What would you do differently?:

navigation is still tough, need to practice sighting the buoy. I seem to drift right
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

the transition is done almost entirely on grass making the run to the mount position relatively easy with shoes on. Challenge was the rain making things a little slippery and the mount and dismount process a little slower
Bike
  • 58m 30s
  • 30 kms
  • 30.77 km/hr
Comments:

The race was in the rain, the first experience of rain for me. The rain was a constant drizzle although relatively warm so there were no issues of getting chilled. the road condition was slick which led to my crash on the fourth to last major turn. Left turn so kept the gears safe, a little road rash, elbow bleed and got back onto the bike. I lost concentration for just a second as I was thanking the police officer for being out there helping!!?? Maintained a slower pace this time trying to create a better running leg of the race which I think I accomplished

Keep concentration at all times, particularly in the rain. I think I can push the bike a bit harder and still have legs for the run. Wondered whether my century ride the weekend before took something out of me.

Quite happy despite the crash
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Decent T2 considering the conditions.

probably add some speed laces for my new shoes

Run
  • 40m 35s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 25s  min/km
Comments:

ran all the way without taking a walking break, the first for me in the triathlons and created a PB on the run.Still very slow runner which will take extra work.

Not a lot except go faster, pace was very good coming out of transition, slow methodical, but then need to start building more pace after the first two km rather than waiting for last km
Post race
Warm down:

little

need to focus on this so I don't start hurting myself

Event comments:

the race was well done. The organization is not quite as strong as the subaru series during the pre and post race activity. A little harder to move through the registration process quickly, which means you need to leave lots of time. Otherwise well organized event. The Kids of Steel the previous day was excellent. My son had a great time.

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:07 | 750 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 165/255
Performance: Average
the lap time includes the first transition,
Suit: predator 2
Course: the course was counterclockwise that allows you to walk a good 100m if you so desired.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:30 | 30 kms | 30.77 km/hr
Overall: 75/255
heart rate was maintained at 165 out of the swim and then tried to keep it below 150, a couple of the climbs popped back into the 165 ranges
Wind: Little
Course: rolling hill course with some car traffic. decent roads with about 7 or 8 relatively tighter turns. Could certainly catch speeds of 60-65kms/hr
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 82
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:35 | 07.5 kms | 05m 25s  min/km
Overall: 182/255
ran mostly at the 160 level last km probably closer to 170 level
Course: fairly flat route out and back. quiet streets, a little view of the lake. The run started with a light rain still going but then stopped, no problems with heat.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes