Illinois Valley Striders
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 01m 58s
Overall Rank = 73/118
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Not your typical raceday as start time was noon - so got a good nights sleep. Breakfast was oatmeal (maple and brown sugar), coffee, red bull, water and a banana. Did some slight stretching and chatted with family before heading to race site.
Event warmup:

Got checked in, picked up packet.........got gear/fuel belt ready to go - race number on - played around on facebook for a bit. Got a light jog in.......maybe 5 minutes or so. Back into Delavan gym to do some stretching while waiting for the bus to take everyone out to race start. Nick and Ethan got there right before we started loading the buses. Got a quick pick and some well wishes, and on the bus I went. Met up again with Nick and Ethan and grabbed one more photo op before the start. Ran into Aaron from Lincoln and Robert Jones from Morton - both whom I have chatted with on BT and about T3. Was rockin a T3 cutoff for the run...........peeps know who I am!! lmao
Run
  • 2h 01m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

First half of the run was decent, but not spectacular. First 2.5 miles were uphill and into a strong headwind, but it was the same for everyone. Got to mile 4 and was feeling craptastical!! Legs felt heavy, wouldn't release, and just didn't know how I was going to keep pace - just wasn't comfortable. By the time I made the turn around 6 miles for the second loop, I was feeling a little better. Hit the aid station for some water, high fived Ethan and off I went for the second loop. Around mile 6.5, I small pothole about 4-5 inches in dia. filled with pea gravel decided to jump up and grab my left toe. It also just so happened to be a downhill stretch of road so................left toe clipped, was late coming back through my stride and clipped my right heal. Forward momemtum, downhill, and gravity took over...........enter BARREL ROLL! Dinged up the hand, shoulder and both legs, but a quick check revealed nothing broken or dislocated..........get up and run Ironman!!! About 2 minutes after the fall, I catch Bob and Lynn coming up beside me ringing cowbells. LOL I smiled and showed them my hand and just shrugged my shoulders. Onward and upward. They drove ahead and had a quick medical station set-up for me when I arrived. A quick stop for Bob to get a band-aid on and off I went. Met up with them again at the turn to backside of loop - Bob was waiting with cold water and a rag for my hand. Quick rinse and grab the towel and around the corner into the stiff headwind again! Thanks Bob and Lynn............you guys never cease to AMAZE me!! It was about now that I realized I had had a PR going at halfway and the tumble may have cost me that. I felt the pain, but was blocking it the best I could but saw that my splits were dropping. UGH! About Mile 10 I realized..........damn, legs feel great. I prolly look like hell..........but I got a mad bounce going on right now!! Let's see what you got left forrest!! 5k to go........I was through the rollers/hills. Started to pick the pace up and set my sites on a gal that had passed me very early on in the race. I picked off 2 or 3 runners and kept my eye on the pink clad gal. I see the Maroon clad crew up ahead at the turn back in Delavan. Pick up the pace slightly more.........wow, still gas in the tank - I likey. Turn the corner and Bob points out my pink clad friend - within reach. A quick fist pump and I go after her. Got that spot in the next .25 miles and set my sights on the next one. Didn't quite get to her before the finish, but was on her heals. Cross the mat.............immediately, the pain sets in - hand is throbbing...........but man I feel good. 2:01:58 - no PR, but I knew I had one going and only a couple minutes off with a fall, rollers, and a fierce headwind. I'll be back to Delavan next year - but I know I got a half mary PR in me........we'll see how 2011 goes. Maybe, jus maybe!
What would you do differently?:

NOT CRASH RUNNING!
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Bob, Lynn, nick and Ethan for a few minutes, then headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE CRASH!!

Event comments:

Well run for a small town event and small field of participants. Course was spot on with regards to mileage. Well marked also.

Last updated: 2010-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:01:58 | 13.1 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 73/118
Performance: Average
Mile 1: 8:52 (little quick, but expected with the adrenaline burst to start) Mile 2: 9:19 (hello headwind) Mile 3: 9:09 Mile 4: 9:06 Mile 5: 9:06 Mile 6: 9:23 (turn into wind and water stop - high five Ethan) Mile 7: 10:05 (The CRASH n medical attn from Bob) Mile 8: 9:53 (hello headwind again - oh how I missed you) Mile 9: 9:53 (throbbing - but getting pissed) Mile 10: 9:24 (better - suck it up!) Mile 11: 9:22 Mile 12: 9:05 (feelin it) Mile 13.1: 9:23 (finish it up dude) (8:51 pace - lil bounce left in step)
Course: 2 loops and a stick back to town. Rolling hills / Country Roads and one small pothole!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes