Charlottesville Track Club
32F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 44s
Overall Rank = 602/2234
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had some stomach issues the night before and was really tired. Decided not to go to the concert, which was kind of a bummer, but a good call for the race. Took a couple of naps during the news. It had been a long week.

Got up at 5:30. Kind of piddled around until 6 and then realized I had to get moving. Breakfast was yogurt and some water and gatorade. Took two ibuprofin for my back, which was tender, but not a disaster.
Event warmup:

Got to the event a little before 7am. Did a little stretching and ran around the parking lot a bit. Less warm-up than usual as I was running a bit late and it was pretty cold. Probably should have done more, oh well. Take the 1st mile loose.
Run
  • 1h 21m 44s
  • 10.12 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was 8:40. I was aiming for under 8:30, but had to dodge too many people. I really need to start lining up farther forward. Other than the first mile and mile 9 (mostly uphill), my pace was under 8 minutes. My goal pace was under 8:30. So, just like the 1/2 marathons, my approach was to "bank" under 8:30 miles through mile 6 or 7 and then see where things stood. As it turned out, I was able to do under 8 min pace for most of the race. This kind of blows my mind. Felt super strong on the last mile too. Good confidence builder for this Fall.

A few things. I think the stairmaster work has helped my uphills. My pace isn't falling off on the hills like it used to. Back was stiff the entire way (especially on hills), but did not interfere with performance. Just kept hoping it didn't dial it up. Ibuprofin probably helped. Also focused on form throughout.

Training notes. I think having done the 1/2 Mary in Florida a few weeks back made a difference. That turned out to be an excellent training run. And even though I didn't really taper for this race, I did take yesterday off and only swam on Thurs, so legs felt pretty fresh. That's probably a good pre-race approach.

Great to see Karen, Kerry and Cindy at mile 8. A nice pick-me-up at a good point in the race.
What would you do differently?:

Can't complain about a PB. Start nearer the front. No credit given for chip times... gun time counts for placing.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to ACAC for the hot tub and then off to Richmond to play at the festival. After the stage, played in the street for 3 hours standing. I'm a tired puppy tonight.

Event comments:

A classic for C'ville! Thanks!

Last updated: 2011-03-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:21:44 | 10.12 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2234
Performance: Good
Course: New course with the last mile down Emmet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-26 9:06 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Charlottesville 10 Miler

2011-03-27 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3416016

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: Charlottesville 10 Miler
Wow! Not that your old but I hope I can do that when I'm in the 50-55. Thanks for the RR.
2011-03-29 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3416016

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Charlottesville 10 Miler

Great race Stu!

I agree -- you have 'earned' the right to line up closer to the front.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charlottesville 10 Miler Rss Feed