4 Peaks Racing
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 43s
Overall Rank = 7/88
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Wake up 5AM, put on tri suit, feed the dog, eat a banana and bowl of Cinnamon Life cereal, start 1.5 hr drive to race. After 1.5 hrs driving, realize the venue is 2 hrs away. Arrive to find no parking, wife drops me and friend off to pick up race packets and parks illegally in fire lane. Others decide it's a good idea and park next to us. She's a trendsetter! Drink a 5-hr energy even though the race is only going to be ~1:15. Halfheartedly listen to pre-race talk, then ask everyone around me what was said. Watch the women start their race.
Event warmup:

Run to packet pickup. Run back to car to get gear bag and bike. Run back to transition. A little dynamic stretching of my calves. Hang out and talk to wife and friend. Meet Chad, BT rock star. I knew when I saw him that I was battling for second place. Line up loosely according the swim ability (TT start w/ 15s intervals). I guesstimate 4:30 for the swim and line up accordingly.
Swim
  • 04m 36s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seeded myself about right. Plenty of room between people at 0:15s TT if you were seeded correctly. Decided on open turns instead of flip turns (which were allowed with care). No sense tiring myself out for a few seconds advantage. Very slippery tile on the walls under water. I slipped several times when pushing off of the wall to go into the other lane. Didn't pass anyone, was passed once by a guy who had just started as I was close to ending.
What would you do differently?:

The swim felt good. I seeded myself about where I thought I should be, ended up starting around 8th. I was a little tense at the start, and my breathing got a little erratic. Surprisingly, this didn't make me go faster. I was a little annoyed when the guy passed me, but based on where he seeded himself and the pace he was keeping, I figured he would be burned out in about 50 yards. I didn't stick around to watch.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Transitions were included with the bike time. I took them from my 310XT, but they weren't very accurate.
Felt strong after the swim, ran from the water to the bike. Skipped the socks for this race and left the shoes on the bike. Made for a fast transition. 1-footed mount onto the bike, passed someone who ran in his shoes and stopped to mount his bike.

Nothing, felt great.
Bike
  • 43m 24s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 22.81 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride felt good. First race on my tri bike (Felt B2). I lowered my aerobars and adjusted my seat a week ago, and wasn't sure how it would feel. Felt great! Still need more time at the lower position, but wasn't bad at all. Also put on new race tires and latex tubes for the first time, and they were good. Really felt strong on the bike considering I concentrated on the run all winter.

Could have caught a 'passing draft' when passing other riders. Also, should pay a little more attention to my aero position. Tucking my head and keeping my knees closer to the top tube would save me a little time over the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 20s
Comments:

First time leaving the shoes on the bike for T2. Went really well, stayed on one pedal up to the dismount line. Hopped off right into a run at the line without missing a stride. Felt really good! Racked the bike, took a second to put on shoes. For some reason I felt like I was missing something.

No idea why I paused. Originally wasn't sure if I was going to wear a visor but put it in transition just in case. Wonder if this is what tripped me up? Ended up putting it on anyway.
Should have put some powder in the shoes. Ended up with a blister on one foot.
Run
  • 22m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The run felt good, it's a 5K PR. There were times when I felt like I couldn't turn my legs over fast enough but overall the pace was good. I've recently added speed work to my running and it seems to be helping. I'm just at the beginning of the plan for speed work, hopefully I'll get faster throughout the season.

Run faster!
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around the finish line and chatted with my wife. Congratulated other finishers, waited for my coaching adviser to finish. Drank some water and ate a banana. Stretched a bit and waited for the awards ceremony.

Event comments:

Race was fun and well organized. It's tough to tell where you stand because of the TT start, but it's nice the way they run the swim course. Makes passing easier.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:36 | 300 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 11/88
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Pool swim, serpentine route. 1-way per lane, get out and start over for two full circuits.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:24 | 16.5 miles | 22.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 6/88
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty flat course, one small hill in the housing development, 3 circuits total. Some cobblestones at the entrance and exit of the development but they weren't bad. Aside from a few turns, could stay on aerobars the whole ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:23 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 17/88
Course: Pretty flat out and back on a paved 'trail'. At some point, the pavement changed to a sort of gravel, then back to pavement. Slight hill at the turn-around.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes