Boulder Marathon LLC
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 40s
Overall Rank = 277/997
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/64
Event warmup:

A little jog, a few drills - toe touches, butt-kickers, skips.
Run
  • 1h 49m 40s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The first two miles of this course are a pain due to the congestion. The first mile is very slow as everyone is clogged into a small space. Mile two opens up slightly, but there is still a lot of dodging.

I think I did reasonably well, despite missing my goal of 1:45. If I were to run this course in the absence of all people, I have a feeling I would do much better. Essentially, I ended with a time similar to that I ran the Denver Rock and Roll half last fall, and this course is much hillier. That tells me I maintained and maybe slightly gained.

Regardless, I'm never happy and I really want a 1:45 (or less) half marathon. I'm tired of MOP finishes.

As per my GPS/watch:
13.46 miles 8:10 min/mile

Standings:

30/64 M40-44
195/440 M
277/997 Overall
What would you do differently?:

I think that I am too obsessed with my HRM. I need to learn to adjust my pace for conditions and to do so on a mile-by-mile basis. I will certainly be working on that for the future.
Post race
Event comments:

The event started a bit late, but that wasn't really an issue. The post-event activities were fantastic. Rudi's Bakery serving grilled cheese, Mix1 for everybody, Larabars, Cascadian Farms cereal - top notch. Plus, Gatorade and Gu at all the aid stations. Well done.

Last updated: 2011-03-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:49:40 | 13.1 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/64
Overall: 277/997
Performance: Average
Mile splits: 8:59 - that start is so crowded and essentially a walk for the first 200 yards, then dodging people for a mile 8:16 - less dodging 8:33 8:34 8:32 8:15 7:58 7:36 7:42 7:53 8:01 7:55 8:07 8:19 - with a little walking past the finish line since I forget to stop my watch.
Course: Boulder back roads. Mostly dirt, a little asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-03-28 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: Boulder Spring Half Marathon

2011-03-28 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3418173

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Boulder Spring Half Marathon
I feel your frustration about the difference between running a clear course and how different race day can be. Also, interesting thoughts on the HRM. I usually race without even doing splits because I need to stay positive and push as my body adjusts. Still trying to decide what to do for my first IM but would be interested in what you discover as a good balance between HRM and RPE.

Best of luck this season and thanks for posting.
2011-03-28 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3418173

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: RE: Boulder Spring Half Marathon
cbrave - Misery loves company? 8^) Seriously, it is nice to know that others out there experience the same issues.

HRM training is great, and I reap a lot of benefit from it, I think. It draws that line in the sand and forces me to realize how much I'm really pushing it. That being said, I wonder if I don't suffer from the opposite effect as well - not letting my HR break over a certain range in fear of blowing up.

In this case, I decided I would maintain the HR between 160 and 170 - Zone 3 ish for me. The first 2 miles were a wash, but after that I did a good job of keeping it around 160 until the turn-around. After that, I probably should have pushed harder and let it drift closer to 170. I recently find, however, that I suffer muscle fatigue before I suffer cardio-respiratory fatigue. Or maybe I'm just scared of the pain that speed requires.

I may start playing with pacing for a while - partially ignore the heart rate and go for target pace.

Let me know if you have any breakthroughs or insights. And, good luck toward the IM!!

-Kirk

Edited by KirkD 2011-03-28 1:59 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Spring Half Marathon Rss Feed