General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Competitor Group
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 10s
Overall Rank = 2714/10969
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 124/580
Pre-race routine:

Walked around a lot and checked out the entertainment. Chocolate m%ms, cherry kefir smoothie, and part of a piece of tea bread for breakfast with lots of water.
Event warmup:

The first few miles were the warm up.
Run
  • 1h 58m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to break the two hour mark on this run, and if I hadn't met a girl in our starting corral who had the same goal (and a Garmin that would track our mile times), I don't think I could have done it. I was really proud of this race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I learned from the last half I did that you just can't run that far without any kind of nutrition, so I got up earlier, ate more for breakfast, and had a gel about halfway through the race. I also made sure to drink the water and the cytomax at most of the stations for the sugar and I think it paid off - I definitely was in worse shape for this run but performed better overall.
Post race
Warm down:

My legs felt awful after this race, so I collected my gear and my race shirt and loaded up for home. A three hour drive home right after a race like this was not a good choice - I should have brought a friend.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training. A 9-minute mile pace is what I train to for sub 5 mile distances, so holding that for 13 was a big accomplishment for me.

Last updated: 2010-12-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:10 | 13.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 124/580
Overall: 2714/10969
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat - I think it was supposed to be up and down-ish until mile 8, but by mile 8 everything felt like it was uphill. Running through all those parts of Dallas was really fun, though, and there were people everywhere.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes