General Discussion Race Reports! » Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Knoxville, Tennessee
United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 57s
Overall Rank = 229/2272
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/123
Pre-race routine:

Woke @ 5am, drank 20oz water, ate engish muffin, cup of coffee. Drove w/ Cheri to Knx; drank water and coffee on the way.
Event warmup:

20-min before start, ran 1/2mi warm-up @ race pace, stretched.
Run
  • 1h 44m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best race to date. I warmed up well (shorter is btter), had a solid race plan and executed the plan. Started at the back of the 1st corral, passed lots of folks on the uphill start (sticking to my pace), maintained my position through 11-miles, then finished strong with little left at the end. Ran very hard the last 0.2mi to hit my goal of 1:45. Stopped to drink (I think 4 times). Stride quality was improved over last year and weight was down to 160. I was especially well controlled on the hills and didn't experience any cramping.
What would you do differently?:

I've not done this yet, but I might be able to log a faster time by using walk segments to get my heart rate back down. I trained only 2 days a week; (tempo maxed at 8mi and long (hilly) run, maxed at 14mi) to prevent injury and because of other tri training. This worked very well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, used space blanket, greeted some of the other runners, then met Cheri to go to the post-race recovery in Thompson-Boling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing at my current level of fitness & training.

Event comments:

Generally well organized and solid group of volunteers. Signage for the bib pick-up could be better. Really should sell coffee and other beverages for spectators.

Last updated: 2010-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:57 | 13.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/123
Overall: 229/2272
Performance: Good
AVG bpm = 173 Max bpm = 188 Climb = 1,609'
Course: Hilly loop through Knoxville; starting at the World Expo Ctr and finishing on the 50-yard line of Neyland Stadium. I like the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-04 9:42 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon

2011-04-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3428559

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon
Great Job! Sounds like you had a good race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Covenant Health Knoxville Half Marathon Rss Feed