KC Running Company
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 24s
Overall Rank = 77/512
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/38
Pre-race routine:

Ate 1/3 cup oats 2 hour before race. Choked down espresso Gu about 25 minutes pre-race. Felt slightly dehydrated from the start.

Wore Kinvaras. I think I have placed every time I've worn them - 2-3 times. Maybe they're lucky
Event warmup:

Did about a half mile slow jog. Since this is the first race in two months of being injured, my stated goal was to finish without pain. Of course, I hoped it would be close to my PR, but knew that was not really possible.
Run
  • 28m 24s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 08m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Did see a 6:52 on my watch for a brief second!!! This was a max effort and it about killed me to run the 5k in this pitifully slow time. It's 3:24 slower than one almost exactly 2 months ago. I wanted to walk but did not, so I guess I can push through sometime. I was out of breath the entire run and was glad when it was over.

Got smoked by a Gallowalker at the end. Thankfully she was younger than I so did not beat me in my age group. We went back and forth the entire race. She ran and then walked at certain intervals. I was dying myself so did not clock to see what her run/walk ratio was. She was behind me near the finish and I just did not have the energy to stay ahead. This is a weakness of mine. I have nothing left at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Train!!! Seriously, due to my knee I have hardly been running at all in 8 weeks so I wanted to do this #1 for the t-shirt, and #2 to test my fitness. Obviously I have lost tons of fitness.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a few minutes and stretched. Then slowly (12:00) jogged about another 1.5 miles to make a total of 5 for the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No training for 2 months! Cross training on the bike and the past two weeks of pool running did NOT keep up my fitness. I need to have a plan in place in case this happens again. Maybe start pool running from the very beginning. This is soooo discouraging but now I have goals to work towards.

Oh, and I am fat so the extra 8 pounds I put on since the last 5k hurt my performance too.

Event comments:

There was not much food at the finish, or at least I did not see it. They had cupcakes but I did not want one. I missed the fruit or bagels. I did grab a bagel and coffee from Panera.

Cannot believe I came in first in my age group with a crappy time. Oh well, I am pleased anyway!

Last updated: 2011-03-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:24 | 03.18 miles | 08m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 77/512
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 8:49 Mile 2: 9:02 Mile 3: 8:56 Last bit: 8:49 HR Average: 160 High HR: 183
Course: Around Town Center in Leawood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes