Colorado Masters Running/Racewalking Association
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 43s
Overall Rank = 29/86
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Morning smoothie, about 2 hours before the race. clean up a kitchen issue drive to race. Check in and get ready.
Event warmup:

Took a 7 minute jog up the presumed start hill watched the deer there and then ran back down the hill. As we get to the start line, realize the course was being reversed from last year.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Seeded my self about 20 back. Went with the start and was about right the first couple of hundred yards. As we climbed more went by me. I thought I had the effort right for the climb. Some more went by me as we closed in on the top of the first climb. I went by them on the downhill. I guess I just had a lot of body weight to bring up the hill and took advantage on the way down.
Going up the next set of hills I still tried to maintain the proper effort. Cruised downhill and on the third climb I went by someone walking and about 200 yards later I just lost the mental discipline to keep running. Walked about a minute then resumed running for two minutes then walked again, let several go by ran some and walked one more minute. Got to the top of the hill and took the spur. Only caught one of those that went by in by last two walking breaks. Just didn't have the foundation to run this course so mentally I took a siesta. Tried to run the final downhill solidly but didn't really catch up to anyone.
What would you do differently?:

Stay home til I am not a Clyde? Run more hills in training?
Post race
Warm down:

Chilled to some banana's and gatorade and watch the awards. Took a bike ride later in the day with the boys in the trailer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient base, up a few pounds and a little BF%.

Last updated: 2011-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:43 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 90/86
Performance: Below average
Course: Loop around Bluffs Regional Park with and "in an back" spur to get the length up to 5k. Rolling and hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?