General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Co.
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 1s
Overall Rank = 21/207
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/47
Pre-race routine:

Transition areas were assigned and bike check-in was the day before. This would be cool, except for the rare April rain storm. I had to cover the whole bike with plastic bags. We also had to put a sticker on the bike with specific instructions to put it on the left side. I promptly put it on the right side, but couldn't switch it because it was paper and started to tear when I tried to remove it. Dummy.
Spent the night at a friend's house. The next day, I woke up, fed the dog, brushed teeth (once a week, whether I need to or not), threw on my clothes, headed to the event, got detoured all over hell due to closed roads for some event, finally got directions from one of the volunteers and got to parking. Got all of my stuff together, headed to transition, halfway there turned around to get my bike pump, picked up my chip. Had a 5-hr energy drink and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

Some dynamic stretching of my calves, 5-10 minutes of light jogging and fast-paced strides.
Run
  • 20m 37s
  • 3.08 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The run course was 3.08 miles according to my GPS. It replaced the swim portion of the tri due to health concerns with Tempe Town Lake from the recent rains. I wanted to really push myself on the first run since I knew I'd have the bike time to recover. This was the fastest I've ever run this distance by a long shot and I was very happy with my results.

I would have rather done the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. It felt good to push myself on this run without it following a bike and swim. I knew I'd have an hour for my legs to recover and there were a LOT of good racers here. I didn't want to lose too much time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

The transition was fine. SOOOOO many bikes, sooooo few landmarks. I had to a primo spot, but slowed down a little to find my bike. Luckily I don't have a Cervelo, I'd still be looking.

I should have walked the transition area from the entrance to the exit. It would have saved me a few seconds. Still had the 3rd fasted T1 of my AG so I should probably stop complaining.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 45s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 22.98 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a good ride. Tried to push hard without killing myself. With little wind and hardly any hills, it was a good split for me. I had to recover from the first run and save some for the last run. Who the hell does a run-bike-run???

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

I was using a new helmet with a face shield and tighter ear flaps. When I took the helmet off, my sunglasses fell off too. Took a couple extra seconds getting everything together.

I could probably run a little faster through the transition area. 3rd fastest of my AG again.
Run
  • 46m 23s
  • 6.24 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run measured slightly longer than 10K according to my GPS. This was a very good run for me. I've never done a 10K before and I felt strong but tired. They wrote in chalk on the pavement in a lot of places, which was cool. There were also several spots where they could have set up more cones to follow. If it wasn't for the guy way in front of me, I would still be running out there looking for the finish line.
Also, at the end it would have been cool if they had arrows pointing the way. The signs said 'Oly left, Half right' and stuff but I was pretty tired and almost went the wrong way a couple of times (do I need to mention the sticker on the bike again?). When I got to the final turn, it was a T-intersection with no signs. I had to slow down and ask the spectators which way I was supposed to go.

Run faster!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Stand around at the finish line and drink some water. Snag a few free gels and congratulate people as the finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The whole Duathlon thing. Call me crazy, but I think it favors the strong runners. It sure doesn't favor swimmers! I've been working on my run and wanted to give it my all though so it was a good test for me. Overall I'm happy with how I did.

Event comments:

This was a well-run event overall. It started a few minutes late through no fault of the race director, but they caught up quickly. They should have made the bike portion longer to make it more equal with the run portion. That would have been really cool (for me). Let's face it - 50% more run should be matched with 50% more bike!

Last updated: 2011-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:37 | 03.08 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/47
Overall: 39/207
Performance: Good
Course: Square route around Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:04:45 | 24.8 miles | 22.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/47
Overall: 9/207
Wind: Little
Course: Out-and-back winding through town a little bit then out into a pretty desolate area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:46:23 | 06.24 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/47
Overall: 54/207
Course: Winding course around Tempe Town Lake. Revers of first run plus extra.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-10 11:04 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Subject: Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-04-10 11:47 PM
in reply to: #3439244

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course

great work out there! very fast splits!  you're right. when they changed this to a du, it really made this more into a runner's race.

2011-04-12 6:10 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job, you threw down some solid runs and a kicking bike split.  Loved this comment "Luckily I don't have a Cervelo, I'd still be looking."
2011-04-12 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Congratulations!!! I had to ask where to go at the very end as well. There were just a couple of spots like that on the course.
2011-04-13 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Super race!  You've really build some speed since Prospector last fall!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed