Elite Endeavors
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 57s
Overall Rank = 152/279
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 25/34
Pre-race routine:

Set-up at transition (pre-assigned rack) and began to stretch. Jogged over to the swim start/finish to orient myself. Studied the T2 entrance/exit then prepared mentally.

Ate a powerbar 30min prior to swim start and chased it with gatorade endurance.
Event warmup:

Stretching.......and a little jogging. Kiss from my wife for good luck.
Swim
  • 30m 31s
  • 1650 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start on this was really tight so plenty of kicks and elbows. I immediately made my way to the outside line and got my rhythem quickly. The practice with the tri-club was priceless here....

The jog to the T1 enterance once we were out of the H20 was about 200 yds so real swim was probably around 29min. I couldnt believe how smooth this felt. What a big difference (improvement)from Cleveland.
What would you do differently?:

Really nothing. I swam my race at my pace.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Shirt got stuck on left shoulder but no time was wasted. I lost my balance when trying to clean the debrit from my feet (sand).

Still 1min faster than Cleveland...

Next time I will sit down instead of trying to wobble while putting on shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 27s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.15 mile/hr
Comments:

OK. Everything was going great on this segment of the race. Saw my wife twice on the course. I think she got nearly the same amount of exercise that I did trying to get pictures of all 3 events. Shoulders started to get a little sore around 17 mile mark. Probably due to the new tri-bike. I only rode it 4 times at 12 miles each ride prior to the race. Could also be due to the swim prior. Anyway, hydration was just right but started to feel slight twinges of cramping near 18 mile mark. Drained the gatorade endurance to prevent cramps setting in. Must have worked since the cramp demons stayed away.

So I am cruising South with the wind at my back and 1 mile left when I hear a strange squeeky noise. Look down to see my back tire flat as a pancake. I stopped to see how bad it was. Since I was only about a 1/2 mile out of the T2, I rode it in (cringe). Figured that it would have taken me longer to change than to ride on the flat the last mile. If I run it in, I use valuable energy.....walk it in, not my style as this is race day.

Needless to say that the rim was not damaged so the gamble paid off. All I could think of was how many people were passing me that I just worked so hard to pass....such is life sometimes.

Well, I would probably ride more on the new bike at longer distances. This will not be a problem in future races.

Avoid industrial sized staples on the road. No really, I will not be caught dead riding on the shoulder when the road was clear. The pebbles and road junk on the shoulder probably increased my chance of a flat.

Make sure I carry flat changing kit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

To tell the truth, I dont remember this transition much. Helmet came off easy, switched shoes OK and grabbed the race belt. Finished off the bike bottle of gatorade before leaving the area.

Not drink the gatorade in transition. There was an aid station 100yds out from the T2.
Run
  • 50m 33s
  • 6.25 kms
  • 08m 05s  min/km
Comments:

This run felt great. I dont know if I should have pushed harder on the bike or if I just felt good running. The course was new to me and I seem to run better on new routes, dont know what is around the next corner. Hydration was on the edge, again I felt the cramp demons circling but they didnt get me. If the temperature was 5-10 degrees warmer I may have been in trouble. There are some super fast folks out there......really.

Best part of the run was near the end with about 0.2 miles left. I caught up with two guys in my age group. One was wearing an Ironman Florida shirt. I asked if he finished and he replied with an affirmative in time of 12:47 or something. I knew I had to beat this guy. So with about 0.1 mile left I started my kick. He accelerated to not let me pass and here is where I played him. I slowed down, he chuckled. Now the finish line is in sight and he is about 25 feet in front. I drop the hammer big time and sprinted as fast as I could. I passed him and ended up beating him by 5sec at the finish. He stopped me after the race and said that he thought I was spent when I let up so he relaxed. What a great way to finish!

Maybe pick the pace up a little. Although 8:08's at the end of a tri are pretty good. I wonder if I could have gone sub 8min ave. None the less this was my first competitive 10k so I am very pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked continuously for 15 min then stretched as much as possible. Drank plenty of H20. Wife and I went over to the transition to check out my bike rim. I was really anxious to find out if I damaged the rim by riding the flat that last 0.5mile. Everything looked good so I was much relieved.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Flat tire on the bike.

Event comments:

Overall great race especially with my performance. Not bad for my first Olympic Distance. The 1/2IM on the same course (in July) is on my calander for next year. I wonder what my time would have been if I did not have the flat?

I thank GOD for the ability to perform in these races. Take nothing for granted..........

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:31 | 1650 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/34
Overall: 164/279
Performance: Good
Suit: Uh...no way
Course: Rectangular. Long swim down (N), short across(E), long back(S), short across(W) to finish. Wind was out of the North so small chop on the way down. Overcast so no sun in the eyes.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:27 | 24 miles | 20.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/34
Overall: 164/279
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Shortened from the 25.5 standard due to road construction. Country roads in decent shape, but not great. I train on these roads so I am used to the pavement conditions. Wind was out of the NW. Going out was to the W, then N, then E and finally S.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:33 | 06.25 kms | 08m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 23/34
Overall: 138/279
Performance: Good
Course: Flat course on paved roads. Half of the run was through surrounding neighborhoods, other half through open roads. Circle route and new to me so scenery was nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes