General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 22m 26s
Overall Rank = 1123/2199
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 55/128
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:45 am. Got dressed and had a cup of coffee. Added ice to the ice chests and loaded them in the truck. Then headed to the race site at 4:45 am.

Arrived about 10 minutes before the transition area opened so we had to stand around waiting for a bit. Once they opened...got my body marked and then headed to my transiton area. Set up the transition area...it was a bit different from normal...because of the wind and the fact we were packed very close together...I did not want to lay my helmet on my handlebars and risk it getting knocked off...so I put it on the saddle and laid everything else on my transition towel.

Once we were done setting up, Tif and I went back to the truck to rest and eat breakfast. At the peanut butter and banana sandwich and then waited until it was time to go get the wetsuits on and wait for the start of the race.

My swim wave was at 8:20...so that meant a long wait to get started...about an hour before my wave I ate a Cliff bar.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching but that was about it for the warmup.
Swim
  • 38m 59s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have decided I really do not like swimming in a crowd. It took longer than normal for the swim to spread out and for me to find some open space to swim in...because of this I found myself having a bit more issues with nervousness than normal. The crowd made me so nervous I was swimming with my head up for a good portion of the swim before the first turn bouy. After I was able to find some room, I did get into a nice groove and felt pretty good about my swim. Then about halfway down the backside of the swim this woman...who was zig zagging all over the place...continued to swim over me and cut me off. Everytime I would move to find space away from her she managed to find me and run me over again. On the portion heading back to shore, I picked up the pace a bit to have a strong finish. I was not pushing as hard as I could have during the swim...but I still am happy with the swim and I was trying to conserve some energy for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to get better at holding my line and not let other swimmers "push" me around.

I did cut out some of the swim training this year...however, I still improved the swim time from last year...so if I add in more swim maybe that would mean cutting more time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

I think this was a pretty good T1. The wetsuit peelers were not the greatest and could not figure out how to get the suit off the best way...but I still think it was ok. Not having to worry about putting socks on for the ride helped a ton.

I needed to wipe my feet off better than I did. I had sand and little pebbles in my shoes the entire bike ride and it was a bit uncomfortable at times.
Bike
  • 3h 21m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

So the wind was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had a cross-headwind on the way out...I was able to keep the speed between 15-17 mph most of the way out. I did not want to be grinding it out so I found the best gear to keep the mph as high as possible but still be spinning...I was trying to preserve the legs for the run. After the turn around I was happy for the cross-tailwind...this allowed me to keep the speed between 17-20 mph...at some points I was hitting around 22-23 mph. Once again trying to spin and still keep the mph up.

I was able to save time this year by not stopping at the aid stations during the bike. I was not experiencing the cramps this year so I did not have to stop and stretch and decided not to stop for the potty either...this was advice taken from John last year. I was able to finish the bike portion about 20 min faster this year.

As for nutrition on the bike...I took a gel every 45 min. I also drank Gatorade every 15 min. and took in water about every 15 minutes. I did get a fresh water every aid station just to make sure I had enough...I was also using it to keep myself cool while on the bike.

I know I am not the most efficient bike rider. I am sure if I could figure that out I would be able to increase the mph and still conserve the legs.

Also...a new bike would help!
Transition 2
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

This was a slower T2 than last year. I really wiped the feet off good because I did not want sand and gravel on the feet during the run. I also had socks to put on and shoes to tie.

I am going to train in shoes made to run sockless for next year. This will keep me from having to worry about putting socks on and will save time.
Run
  • 2h 14m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very tough run for me. I started to experience bad cramps less than half way through the first lap...starting from the inside of my knees and going all the way up through the quads balled up on me. I had one really bad idea of stopping to stretch...which made the cramps worse...and then I talked myself into to walking...if that is what you want to call what I was doing...I made it to the second aid station and I took in an entire glass of Gatorade and then I started to jog very slowly. Once I started jogging the cramps let up and I found a pace that worked with out the cramps coming back. I was hoping for about a 9:30 pace for the run but was only able to keep it at 10:19. The rest of the run was cramp free...however, I was not able to take the gels like I wanted because my stomach was not handleing them well. So I changed the nutrition plan while running and took Gatorade every other aid station and water at every station. I did decide to take a gel for the last lap because I need the calories and hoped it would provide the little extra energy I needed. My stomach handled it well and I did not have any issues. I did pick the pace up a bit for the last lap and at the end I tried to kick but the legs started to cramp. I think I did more of a hobble crossing the finish line and less of a run across the finish.

I hade to walk in circles for about 10 minutes before I could stop to let the volunteer take my timing chip off. If I stopped walking I was going to cramp worse than I already was.

Find a way not to cramp...is that possible?

I would not have stopped completely when I felt the cramps...this was the worst idea I had and I knew better.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around to prevent the cramping. Also stretched a bit.

Tried to keep myself cool with water and a wet towel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In the swim I think I did good...I was holding myself back to save energy

On the bike...I do not use my energy efficiently and they prevents me from being as fast.

During the run...cramps!

Event comments:

Pros...this race is well organized and there are tons of volunteers. Also I like the course.

Cons...I do not understand how you run out of food for the competitors...you know how many people registered to race and you should plan to have that much post race food...of all things the food to me is the most important thing...when I finish a race I need the food and so do all the other athletes. Also, the swag is lacking...the fact got a shirt and some flyers in the bags and nothing else...plus the finishers hat was the had that we got in the bags laster year...they could have had finisher on them somewhere.

All in all I enjoyed the race!

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:59 | 2112 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/128
Overall: 794/2199
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Point to point
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:21:02 | 56 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Overall: 1360/2199
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back...down the seawall and into Brazoria County and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:14:59 | 13.1 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 1006/2199
Course: 4 Loops around Moody Gardens
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-12 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2011-04-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3442275

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Nice job going with the flow on the run and adjusting as you needed to.  Sweet swim too for someone that held back.  At some point in time I would have gave that lady a piece of my mind.  Your clearly more restrained then me.  
2011-04-12 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

You did great for the race- dealing with swim (def run them over nxt time) and adjusting on the fly while running. You gotta do what you gotta do.. awesome!

2011-04-12 1:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Way to keep improving. Great job training this year. I'm so glad I have the opportunity to share the experience with you.
2011-04-12 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Great report and sweet job on teh race!!! Making changes on the fly and getting things done. You did great. Great swim for taking it easy. I am inpressed by the run also.
2011-04-13 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Great race! It was nice seeing you gals out there as always.......

2011-04-13 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Great race report! And definitely hold your ground next time - a little breathstroke kick always helps if everything else fails
2011-04-14 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3444387

User image

Dallas, TX
Great race, congrats!!
2011-04-15 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3447685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Great race - sorry to see you suffered the cramps on the run.  If anyone can understand that agony it's me.  I have decided to do some longer bricks during the summer months to try to dial the hydration / electrolyte quantities in better.  Maybe that will help you?  Hope to see you both at more races this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed