Red Rock Co.
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 08m 26s
Overall Rank = 136/181
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 42/51
Pre-race routine:

Got up and ate some brown rice farina cereal, drank a cup of oj and then started up on some water....Had an hr drive ahead of me so I left around 3:45 so I could park and be in transition by 5:00. Talked to some people around my bike area and got some great advice! Met up with Wade and Patrick in transition then headed over to the start and met up with Todd and Wade. Had a delay of 15 minutes or so due to an accident on the bike course that had all 4 lanes blocked off.
Event warmup:

Thought warm thoughts as it was cold!
Run
  • 32m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty much last but wasn't concerned! Kept hr around 130 1st 1.5 miles then slowly allowed it to drift up to 138/140.
What would you do differently?:

Probably nothing...
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Tried to stay calm and not get too hyped up..went to go #1.Time could've been a bit better....

Peed in my wetsuit had we swam!!! But whatcha gonna do??
Bike
  • 3h 13m 24s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Stomach was really not wanting much the last 1/2 of the 2nd loop. Had to force down my last energy bar. Wind was kicked up a bit on the 2nd loop and my taint was on fire. My favorite race shorts just got demoted!Never had a problem with them @the oly distance, so I didn't think much of it. Told myself all the way back on the 2nd loop how great I always feel at the end off a long ride after I've ran about 1/2 a mile. HAHA HA HA HAHA!!!! Not the case today!!!! LOL!!

Wore my race shorts on a few long rides. Could've drank a bit more but was forcing things down as it was.
Transition 2
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

Was really trying to get focused here and get my mind right! All I could hear was 13 miles???? But I got settled in, the run is my favorite, anyway.

Not much, could've hurried up a bit more....
Run
  • 2h 16m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Was digging deep, the cold had got my feet on the bike and my feet were killing me from the start of the run. I really tried to take mental breaks during and enjoy the scenery off the venue and the planes coming into Sky Harbor. I ran into to Toby on the course and he picked me up at a dark time, I was struggling with some cramps and was thirsty but my stomach wasn't havin' it!!! I got to mile ten and said time to put the gas the rest of the way to the floor, oh, I guess this is it!!! LOL!!! had a lil bit off push left but not much. I just kept telling myself, this is gonna happen!!!! Once I got past the turnaround, I could feel it!! This WAS gonna happen!!!

Probably do a better job off removing negative thoughts in a more timely fashion. I didn't realize how heavy they would come on!!! I could be being hard on myself here but, I do need to work on that. Felt I did great the last few races on that, but those last few races weren't 1/2 iron distance!!!! At the end of the day, I was pleased, to a degree, with my run!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and then got a stretch and a rubdown in.... Tried to drink some...Man, I was dehydrated more than I realized til I left and stopped to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Base, base and more BASE!!!!

Event comments:

Best volunteers at any race I've been to. Like Red Rock Company, all the courses were well marked.

Last updated: 2010-11-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:44 | 03.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/51
Overall: 176/181
Performance: Average
Plan was to keep my hr during the swim around 130, so I held onto that along as I could during this 1st 5k. I ran the whole thing with Todd and we were at the back of our wave but I was in no hurry and didn't wanna get hung up in the moment. I wanted to stick to my gameplan as best as possible.
Course: Over the Mill Ave. bridge around E. Coli Lake then back to transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 03:14
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
03:13:24 | 56 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/51
Overall: 141/181
Performance: Average
Tried to keep it 140 on the 1st 1/2 of 1st loop, 145 on the way back and back out then targeted 150 on the final 1/2 of the 2nd loop. Wasn't really planning on that beforehand but was an option I had on the table depending on how I felt.
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Was a 2 loop course heading east from TTL out the Beeline Hwy and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:16:19 | 13.1 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/51
Overall: 124/181
Performance: Good
Gameplan was to run 150 coming off the bike the 1st 2 miles then see assess the situation. After 2, pushed it up to 155 and maintained that awhile.
Course: 2 loops around TTL-6.5 miles each
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-12 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: Marquee Triathlon

2011-04-12 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3442578

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon
I'm so glad that we were able to do and complete our first HIM's together. You really poured it on at the end of the bike and on the 2nd run. You should be so proud of your time and the effort you put in. Just imagine what you'll be like in a year. It was so nice to run with you the first 5K. That was probably my favorite part of the day. Congratulations.
2011-04-12 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
It was great, glad we could share that!!! Congrats to you, as well! I had a blast! Looking forward to SOMA!
2011-04-12 9:22 PM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
My feet were so cold at the beginning of the run as well...I totally forgot about that!! It took a good two miles to get all the feeling back!! Great job on your race!! Congrats!!
2011-04-13 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran
, Arizona
Nice race, Todd.  I'm not gonna lie...I knew you were going to be strong and I was always looking behind me knowing you just might be there.  If we had to swim that day, I'm pretty sure we probably would have just swapped positions on the bike and run.  It was definitely great to see you out there and you finished strong.  Looking forward to the next race.  Maybe we can squeeze in some training rides some time.
2011-04-13 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Sounds great, I'm right with you. Nothing wrong with that, I definately perked up when we ran into each other on the run! I had Todd right in front of me the majority of the bike while I was playing leap frog with some older dude on a roadie, we were definatleu=y pushing each other! Loved it, can't wait for SOMA!

2011-04-20 9:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Great to see you out there Todd.  I know what you mean about the cold feet (literally) - mine were pins and needles getting off the bike - OUCH.  Look forward to seeing you out on the training routes and events.  Awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon Rss Feed