General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 15m 27s
Overall Rank = 1048/
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 151/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:45 and had some oatmeal with honey and raisins, a bottle of NUUN water, and a peanut granola bar. Headed over to the transition area about 6:00 and set up my spot, then went back to the room at Moody Gardens to talk to the wife before my swim wave started at 7:50. Ran into a couple guys from NTM and talked with them before the race while we waited for our swim waves. I also saw the guy with cornrows that I saw pulling wetsuits off like candy wrappers for the Sprint race the day before - he was holding our swim wave sign, so I asked if he was going to be stripping wetsuits again this morning. When he said he was heading over there, my plan was made to look for "My Boy" and informed him I would be yelling that out as I ran up to him. He said I was not the only person that had told him that they would be looking for him and he was expecting a busy morning. On the dock, right before we went down to jump in, I talked to some guy that said this was his first tri ever. I hope he did well, but I wouldn't have bitten off a 70.3 to start with.
Event warmup:

None, just stretched a bit as we waited to go into the water.
Swim
  • 39m 17s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was great - Everyone jumped in and just sat in the water for a couple minutes treading water. I took the opportunity to relieve myself in the wetsuit - amazing how quickly that warms you up :) I wanted to get that out of the way so I didn't have to stop later. The announcer got everyone pumped up before the gun went off, calling specific people by name and letting the whole group know what we were about to embark on. When the gun went off, everyone started swimming and of course, it was an egg beater for the first 200 meters or so. Once the swimmers thinned out, I got into a good pace and seemed to just be gliding along. In retrospect, I should have pushed it a bit harder here, as this is my most comfortable leg of the entire event, but I just focused on my breathing and keeping it low intensity to save energy for the bike and the run. My sighting was off a bit and had to zig-zag back to the course a couple times, likely due to me getting into a rhythm of just breathing on one side due to the wind/waves and sticking with it.
What would you do differently?:

Push a bit harder on the swim and sight a little better to keep a straight line - probably could have cut another minute or two with just those two things.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

Ran up the ramp out of the bay and was looking for "My Boy" at the wetsuit stripping station. I spotted him and ran straight to him, yelling the whole time "My boy! Hook me up! My Boy!". He was laughing a little at me, but got my wetsuit off lickety-split. I told him what a great job he did, thanked him and was off - nice trot back to transition spot. Didn't pass my bike rack and found my spot immediately - good job! Saw the wife, said hello and gave a thumbs up. Tore open the pack of Sport Beans and threw them down while I put bike shoes and helmet on. I had a little trouble getting my gloves on my wet hands and passed right by the sunblock lotion station on my way out of transition - probably the worst decision I made all day.

I probably should have just shoved the gloves in my pockets and got them on while I was already on the bike. My absolute worst decision of the day had to be not stopping at the sunblock station, as I am now nursing blisters on my shoulders and arms due to a baaaaad sunburn. When I saw those folks with the sunblock just dripping off their gloves and just slopping it on people, I said to myself "I don't need it that bad - gross!". Going back now, I would have dived in that crap to get out of the pain I'm feeling now. Oh well, next time, huh.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 51s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was very good for me, averaging 17+ mph for the whole leg. I thought I saw a lot of flats, but as this was my first Half IM, maybe that was normal - just glad I was spared that headache. In the past few rides, my eyes have been giving me trouble and drying out, so I made sure to wear shades, due to the wind and sand blowing on the course - very glad I did, as no issues on this one. Kept the nutrition up by alternating Sport Beans, Hammer Gels, and Powerade Gels every 45 minutes. Drank two full bottles of NUUN Water and gatorade by the time I hit 20 miles and picked up a water at the first aid station I saw after running out. I couldn't hold on to it and pedal efficiently, so tried to stick it in my pocket on my shirt. Of course if fell out and I only got around 6 ounces of it - oh well, next aid station. I have only two bottle cages on my bike and both were filled with my $12 Polar bottles that I didn't want to toss, but by the time I got to the next aid station, one Polar bottle hit the side of the road. I was parched and knew I might be in trouble - picked up a gatorade and made it last. I should have picked up two gatorades and tossed both bottles, but I'm a tightwad and didn't think about that beforehand. I was averaging 19+ on my way back and didn't want to slow down, as I still felt rather well. I saw my wife right before I made the final turn and said hello as I whizzed past her. I didn't use the bathroom the whole time I was on the bike.

Put two cheap water bottles filled with my beverage of choice on my bike and toss at least one at every aid station to ensure I've got enough fluid to last. When I picked up the gatorade, I knew that was my last aid station and had to make it last - I could have drank the whole thing in 2 minutes and should have, but I didn't and would pay for it on the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Felt good coming into T2, and was pumped as I was almost 30 minutes ahead of where I thought I was going to be. I had high hopes of a PR in my half mary time and was ready to hammer it. Found my rack and space with no issues, stripped the helmet, gloves, shoes and then put the running shoes and hat on. Ran by the sunblock application station again :( Dumb, Dumb, Dumb Decision.....

Nothing really, except to dive in the sunblock on the way out......
Run
  • 2h 19m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting off the run, I had high hopes of finishing in under 2 hours, as I still felt rather well, but my lack of proper hydration on the bike quickly crept up on me. About 3 miles into the run, I finally stopped to piss, and it was obvious that I was in need of serious hydration as almost nothing came out and it looked like orange gatorade. I had already initiated the run/walk combo, so I knew I just needed to focus on getting hydrated and push as much as I could without completely bonking. I stopped at every aid station to have at least one cup of fluid, sometimes two, and continued the nutrition with powerbar gels that were available at the aid stations.

Nothing really on the run - I cooked myself on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish in a daze for about 30 seconds until I saw my wife. Went over, thanked her for allowing me to skirt a lot of my duties for the past 4-6 months to train for this and told her I loved her. Stretched out a little, had someone take our picture, and then went and found the North Texas Multisport tent to catch up with the rest of the folks. Lee handed me the best burger I had in a long time and we took a couple more pictures. Then we had to head back to Dallas, so we wouldn't be picking up the crumbsnatchers too late.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely not hydrating more on the bike...... and probably my skin cooking due to not applying sunblock.

Event comments:

Great race, Great venue, Great volunteers, Great organization - Looking forward to next year!

Last updated: 2011-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:17 | 1931 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 824/
Overall: 128/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex3 Full Sleeve
Course: Out, across, and back in a semi-protected bay/cove.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:51 | 56 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 169/
Overall: 1017/
Performance: Average
Bike Split 1-- 1:43:24 @ 16.25 mph Bike Split 2-- 1:25:27 @ 19.66 mph HR avg on the bike: 147
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Out and back, mostly along the seawall. Roads were in great shape for the most part, just a few rough areas to watch out for.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:19:18 | 13.1 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 151/
Overall: 1048/
Performance: Average
RUN SPLIT 1: 3.275 mi 3.275 mi (33:19) 10:10/mi RUN SPLIT 2: 6.55 mi 3.275 mi (34:35) 10:33/mi RUN SPLIT 3: 9.8 mi 3.275 mi (36:11) 11:02/mi RUN SPLIT 4: 13.1 mi 3.275 mi (35:13) 10:45/mi Average HR: 146
Course: 4 laps around Moody Gardens. Very technical course, with lots of turns, short hills and uneven surfaces.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-13 11:18 AM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2011-04-13 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3444353

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
AHAHAHA! I am the same way about my water bottles, I totally cringed when I threw mine out for a fresh hand up. Nice job and great RR.
2011-04-13 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3444353

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Great race Rhett!  I really happy for you.  All your training paid off and you beat your goal solidly.  Good lessons learned too.  Nice that you learned them without bonking.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed