General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 58m 12s
Overall Rank = 1495/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 81/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with a friend in Pearland this time (instead of staying on the Island). Got up at 4:40, hit the door at 5. Ate a Honey Stinger protein bar and a Coke Zero on the drive down to Moody. My wave started at 8:35 - nearly 2 HOURS after transition closed, so I hung out. Watched the pros come in from the swim (which was pretty cool), used the bathroom 2x, then got to my wave right before they got in the water.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 40m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm not sure which conditions were worse - 2010 or 2011. I haven't done an open water swim since June 2010 and I haven't done yoga/pilates since Dec. Until the first turn, I sighted WAY too much, probably due to the waves and not being used to swimming with so many people. As a result, my lower back locked up and kicking was limited to "for rotation purposes only". After the first turn, something clicked and I relaxed and just focused on keeping my head down and working on form. I really didn't think my time would be good so I just wanted to relax, enjoy the chaos, and have good form. I wasn't even breathing hard. Completely surprised to post a PR.
What would you do differently?:

not quitting pilates/yoga when I moved (and started IM training). Otherwise, apparently relaxing is the way to a PR!
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

spent time sunscreening myself and at the sunscreen table. After last year (I was soooo sunburned in 2010), I did not want that happening again. Beat my 2010 T1 time by 1 min.

spent a bit of time standing and assessing my gear and trying to process what needed to be done. Obviously transition skills are a bit rusty.
Bike
  • 3h 31m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been working SO HARD on the bike for my IM training that I was really curious to see how I'd do on the bike for this race. (Also moving to Colorado was a training bonus). Within the first 15 miles, my hamstrings got tight, which moved to my inner thighs. When this happens, its like a muscle pull (or can develop into a pull/strain) and I lose power. I debated trying to loosen things up while on the bike but ultimately ended up dismounting shortly after the 1st aid station to stretch (hitting 13.7 mph after cruising at 15-16 mph got my attention). After a min or so of stretching, I got back up and had no problem crusing along. I could have pushed harder, but anytime I pushed, things got tight on me, so I just went with a comfortable cruise. I don't think my HR even got above 150 bpm. I did stop at the 3rd aid station for a pit stop - I rode the IMTX couse on Friday and was not used to the heat. Focus today was hydration and 3 salt pills/hour. Fluid consumption: 1.5 bottles of water, Infinit: aerobottle, 40 oz profile bottle, and part of a bike bottle (probably 3-3.5 hrs of calories), 1 salt pill every 20 min, and 2.5 gels (half a gel every 30 min).

Not sure what to do about my inner thigh issue - this is a recurring thing. I drank too much, but considering I've been training in Colorado, I'd rather drink too much than not enough. Nutrition seemed spot on.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Nothing fancy here. Stopped by the sunscreen people again.

be a bit quicker
Run
  • 2h 38m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My coach's instructions were to run the first 3 miles at 150 bpm, then run each mile at a pace where I could maintain for the remainder of the race. It was HOT and my HR immediately went to 170. For the first 2 loops, I ran to each aid station, then took my time with water, ice, drinking my concentrated Infint, salt pills. For the first loop, I had a swig of Infinit at each aid station (about every 0.8 miles), which was too much, as I had a bit of discomfort for the second loop. Adjusted to every second or third water stop for the Infinit, which seemed to work. The third loop was just not very fun. Legs felt ok (muscle and energy) - the heat just sucked everything from me. I ran maybe 1/3 (?) of the third loop and told myself that I was going to run the fourth loop much better. Also took a bathroom break (from drinking a lot of water), which helped some. Fourth loop came around and I probably walked half of it (maybe more) when I should have been hammering it. I did run from the last aid station pretty solid, so there was that. I really didn't think I'd have a PR on the run with all the walking - shocked to find that I had a 2 min PR. I think my IM training in Colorado has REALLY helped the run. Legs felt ok, but my feet were pretty miserable on the last loop. Not used to running in wet shoes.

Maybe try to run more? Physically I can do it, but I hate being hot and the loops are mentally draining (especially when you see so many other people walking). For IMTX, I'm going to buy a second pair of shoes and have them in my special needs bag - I think having dry shoes/socks will be a good idea.
Post race
Warm down:

walked straight to the massage tent

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat. However, with the heat, taking it a bit easy on everything, I CRUSHED my previous Lonestar time by 28 minutes :)

Event comments:

Didn't think this was as well run as last year (or before it became WTC). They ran out of ice on my second loop (!!!) and sponges. When you have waves starting 1:40 after the pros, you have to be prepared for the heat of the day. Also: if I have to run one more loop at Moody Gardens, I may kill myself.

Last updated: 2011-04-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:24 | 2112 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 937/
Performance:
Suit: xterra full
Course: trapezoid - with the wind, then cross-wind (wave), then into the wind to finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:31:52 | 56 miles | 15.86 mile/hr
Overall: 1572/
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: out and back, flat flat flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:38:55 | 13.1 miles | 12m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 1501/
Performance: Average
Course: 4 maze-like loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-13 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

2011-04-13 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3445124

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas

Congrats on your PR! LOL, I def feel ya on:" if I have to run one more loop at Moody Gardens, I may kill myself." I felt the same freaking way.

Also, very jealous you got to moved to CO....that's where I want to move!

2011-04-14 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3445124

User image

Regular
Allen, TX
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas
Great race! And PR's and lots of improvements to boot! Good for you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Rss Feed