United States
American Diabetes Association
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 51m 28s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, made a cup of coffee and had my standard half bagel with peanut butter. Loaded the car with bike and gear (remebered to bring my front wheel this time!) and out the door by 5:15 for the 1:20 drive to the site. Met Matt (team captain) and half the team at the Wawa near the high school. Got to the site in pleanty of time to pick up packet, grab a banana (passed on the Shoney catered breakfast) and prep bike. Met the rest of the team by 7:25 and we headed to the start line for the 7:30 start. Wind is picking up but the rain looks like it'll hold off..
Event warmup:

None.. it's a ride, not a race.
Bike
  • 5h 51m 28s
  • 102.7 miles
  • 17.53 mile/hr
Comments:

The plan was for the 11 of us on Team Frankfort Bicycles to stay together and ride a comfortable pace, using the rest stops to re-group as needed. We stopped at mile 23 (2nd rest stop), mile 50, and lunch at mile 60 (good lunch w/wraps and plenty of fruit). Legs were starting to cramp a bit by this point and I was cooling off, so told the rest of the team I'd take off and easy pedal until they catch up. They caught me ~mile 70 after I rode an extra mile to visit a rest stop I didn't want to stop for! We stayed together for about a mile until I started to pull away with another team member (Sam). We decided not to stop anymore, so took turns pulling the rest of the way in. We finished ~15 minutes ahead of the rest of our team. As this was my first century, I'd never been in the saddle that long before... and my ass was letting me know that for the last 25 miles!

Now a word about the wind... a nice flat course for my first century (~400ft total elevation gain) was turned into a real test with the insane head wind for the first 50 miles. Never experienced a heart rate of 174 doing 12 mph on the flats before! Wow. It was nice to have the tail wind for most of the ride in though... managed to hit 27mph a few times without too much effort.
What would you do differently?:

Should have brought my tri bike instead of the road bike. Thought I'd be group riding most of the time and sitting up. Turned out I spent most of the time in the aero position anyway (I've got clip-ons on the road bike), either on my own or pulling the rest of the group. MUCH more comfortable in the aero bars than sitting up on the hoods... probably 'cause I don't do many group rides.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a beer with the rest of the team.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing other than maybe my bike selection. Then again, this was a training ride for the Cap2Cap Century in 3 weeks, and to start figuring out nutrition planning for long rides.

Event comments:

VERY well organized and supported! Post race activities were moved into the high school cafeteria because the wind wrecked havoc with the tents. Will definately do this again next year... and it's for a great cause (American Diabetes Association)!

Last updated: 2011-04-06 12:00 AM
Biking
05:51:28 | 102.7 miles | 17.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg hr: 157 Max: 174
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Basically an out and back with a loop at the half way point. Head wind the whole way out... 20mph with gusts +30. Only hill on the course was the freeway overpass near the start/finish (which looked like a mountain coming in!)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-17 12:32 PM

User image

Kingsland, Georgia
Subject: Tour de Cure

2011-04-17 6:12 PM
in reply to: #3451123

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Tour de Cure
Hey Kev, Congrats on completing the your first century! Suppose there is no way to prepare for the long rides other than doing long rides. Good luck on your next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Cure Rss Feed