Empire Runners and Fleet Feet Sports
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 20s
Overall Rank = 16/365
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am. Oatmeal, gatorade, water, bite of cliff bar. Drove to outside of park. Then road bike in to start as they were trying to spare the limited parking.
Event warmup:

Stretching, hip swings, talking with friends
Run
  • 1h 45m 20s
  • 13.34 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I am in love with this park, it is officially the best place to train IMHO. It was a fund raiser for the state park as California's state parks are in trouble! It raised over $30,000 for the park which was great! Most of the race is done on single track except for the first and last mile, so I decided to run quick off the start to beat the congestion that would be sure to come at the first hill. Ran a 7:28 the first mile and climbed up the first hill. My HR monitor was at 170+ which scared me a bit. I usually train around 155+ for my tempo runs. From there I decided not to go off the HR monitor, but off of feel. Thats what I'd done before. I kept pressing as hard as I could as about 5 guys were pacing behind me. Just when I thought I couldn't run anymore I would get a slight downhill and be able to catch my breath. Trail running is a rollercoaster ride like that. You dont think you can run anymore after going straight up for over a mile, then you get a downhill and feel great! Thats why I love it's natural intervals. When I hit the final hill at South Burma I was struggling! I knew the course well and knew I only had about a mile left until the downhill to the finish. I kept pressing the heavey legs up the hill. When I got to the top It was my time to shine! I love running down hill on trails. It's where i love to gain time on the more cautious runners. I passed about 6 people before the finish. The last flat mile I gave it everything I had to the finish. This was the first time I felt I had paced it right. I usually charge at the end and finish well, but feel like I could have kept going. This time I was tired mentally and physically.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I was pleased. Practicing uphill and practice with the HR montitor would be nice.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate, drank, and BS'd with friends...Advil and some light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The hills in my way!

Event comments:

Very pleased with my 1st in AG. First time it's happened when there hasn't been like 3 people, but 5 isn't that much more :)

Last updated: 2011-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:20 | 13.34 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 16/365
Performance: Good
HR= 163av 174max Splits 7.28 9.43 8.33 7.38 8.16 8.27 9.32 9.25 7.21 6.55 6.29 6.32 6.48 6.26
Course: Annadel Half Marathon Trail Run in Santa Rosa, Ca. Start and finish were at Spring Lake Regional Park. First 8.5 miles are up or rolling. Roughly 2,000ft gain. Then the last 4+ miles are downhill and FAST! just watch your footing!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes