Subject: Optygen....
Anyone on here using this stuff? 

2011-04-18 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3451918

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Optygen....

Oriondriver02 - 2011-04-18 7:10 AM Anyone on here using this stuff? 

Yes.  I take the Optygen HP.  I used it some last year and have started using it again this year as my training picks up to higher volumes/intensities and I approach the key part of my racing season. 

I'm natrually a skeptic and believe it could just be placebo, but I 'feel' like it makes a difference in my ability to recover and continue to have quality workouts.  I 'feel' like I can handle a higher training load with less fatigue and strain.  The races I did with it 'seemed' easier than before.

Obviously, it's very subjective and there are no studies or proof that it does what it claims.  The supplement market is rife with scams and snake oil type supplements, but I like to think that they're a good company with actual standards beyond making a quick buck. 

2011-04-18 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3451967

User image

Columbia
AndrewMT - 2011-04-18 8:40 AM

Oriondriver02 - 2011-04-18 7:10 AM Anyone on here using this stuff? 

Yes.  I take the Optygen HP.  I used it some last year and have started using it again this year as my training picks up to higher volumes/intensities and I approach the key part of my racing season. 

Just started taking it this year as I am ramping up with more frequent and intense training for my first HIM in Oct and begining to experiment with what will and will not work at longer distances.

I'm natrually a skeptic and believe it could just be placebo, but I 'feel' like it makes a difference in my ability to recover and continue to have quality workouts.  I 'feel' like I can handle a higher training load with less fatigue and strain.  The races I did with it 'seemed' easier than before.

X2 - but tried Creatine, when I was lifting, many moons ago and it worked really well for quick recovery; so what the heck I will see what gives with this.

Obviously, it's very subjective and there are no studies or proof that it does what it claims.  The supplement market is rife with scams and snake oil type supplements, but I like to think that they're a good company with actual standards beyond making a quick buck. 

x2 - I use several of the EFS products and have good experiences with all to the present. Will be trying the pre-race shortly in prep for an Oly and at the Oly if all goes well.

2011-04-18 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Trying it this year, on my second month - company reputable, they use a good manufacturer and their products are clean (unlike Hammer).

There is data on cordyceps - though obviously cheaper ways to get it, not sure of the rhodiola - I think of it more for anxiety - but giving it a try

2011-04-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3452086

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

I've been using it for awhile and feel like it works well.  I wrote a review on this a couple of months ago: http://danglethecarrot.blogspot.com/2011/03/when-bad-workouts-stopped.html

2011-04-18 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3452115

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
JeffIrvin - 2011-04-18 8:42 AM

I've been using it for awhile and feel like it works well.  I wrote a review on this a couple of months ago: http://danglethecarrot.blogspot.com/2011/03/when-bad-workouts-stopped.html

Jeff, good review.  I've had similar experience with the product and despite the cost will continue to take it throughout the year until my last A race.  I rode the MS150 this weekend averaging over 21mph and finished feeling fresh and ready to go ride again.  That's mostlyy due to the cycling focused training I've been doing recently, but I think the fresh feeling is partially due to the supplement.

The only thing in your blog review I disagree with is that you eliminated the placebo affect by checking with your fellow blogger.  Even if you'd checked with a dozen people who had similar results, the placebo affect is a very real thing.  Your bias in favor of EFS products may have made you more susceptable to the placebo, but even those without a bias are still likely to experience it. 

Unfortunately, there isn't likely to ever be a scientific study that thoroughly and objectively studies Optygen HP and gives us specifics on if and how much it helps.  The studies that examine individual ingredients, combined with anectodal evidence, will probably have to be enough. 

2011-04-18 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

For those that have used this, I am curious if you tried the Optygen version (not Optygen HP) and if you saw any improvements or experienced any side effects (ex. paraesthesia).   The main difference seems to be 1000mg on Beta Alanine.  Is there any value without this?

2011-04-18 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas

I don't want to come across as a jerk (and I usually do when I put my "skeptic" hat on) but I have a few questions:

Products like Optygen and Extreme Endurance etc... all claim to allow the athlete to train harder and recover faster.  If this is true, how is this any different than performance enhancing drugs? I am not asking this from a ethical standpoint (that's a whole diff'rent debate). My point is - if this stuff actually had any measurable effects, why isn't USADA all over this? Why aren't all the pro's using it? Steroids also allow harder training and faster recovery - why are they banned but this stuff isn't.  You can't say it's because Optygen is "all natural" - blood doping is "all natural" too. My guess is that steroids are banned because they have been scientifically proven to increase your performance above and beyond what is achievable by training alone.  If supplements like Optygen etc.. really did what they claimed, how could they be allowed when other methods of enhancing performance are not?

Again - I am not here to bash Optygen or the people who use it.  If it works for you - whether as a placebo or for real - great!!  I just can't help but ask the question...

2011-04-18 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3452086

Master
, California

Trying it this year, on my second month - company reputable, they use a good manufacturer and their products are clean (unlike Hammer).

The only questionable thing I heard about Hammer was regarding their Liquid Endurance product.  And that was only because of a change to the prohibited substances list.  Hammer promptly removed it from the market when that happened.

Have you seen other problems?  A lot of people, including BTers use Hammer products so you should provide details if you're going to say something like that.

2011-04-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3452611

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
TRICLOPICUS - 2011-04-18 11:37 AM

I don't want to come across as a jerk (and I usually do when I put my "skeptic" hat on) but I have a few questions:

Products like Optygen and Extreme Endurance etc... all claim to allow the athlete to train harder and recover faster.  If this is true, how is this any different than performance enhancing drugs? I am not asking this from a ethical standpoint (that's a whole diff'rent debate). My point is - if this stuff actually had any measurable effects, why isn't USADA all over this? Why aren't all the pro's using it? Steroids also allow harder training and faster recovery - why are they banned but this stuff isn't.  You can't say it's because Optygen is "all natural" - blood doping is "all natural" too. My guess is that steroids are banned because they have been scientifically proven to increase your performance above and beyond what is achievable by training alone.  If supplements like Optygen etc.. really did what they claimed, how could they be allowed when other methods of enhancing performance are not?

Again - I am not here to bash Optygen or the people who use it.  If it works for you - whether as a placebo or for real - great!!  I just can't help but ask the question...

I think it's a good question and definitely worthy of discussion (maybe on a different thread so we don't hijack). 

To me, there's a distinct difference between supplementation and performance enhancing drugs.  Anything you ingest can alter your body's chemistry.  At the base level, all the macronutrients you get from your regular food are an important part of fueling and recovery.  Then you have all the other amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, etc. that play roles in keeping your body healthy and running well. 

From what I understand, chemicals such as EPO and Testosterone are different in that they directly act on and change the systems in your body which play a part in aerobic exercise, whereas supplements and food only support those systems or have indirect impacts.  I could be completely wrong here but in my mind I've been able to draw a line.

Honestly, the only line that matters for competition is the one drawn by the governing body of the sport!

2011-04-18 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3452171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
AndrewMT - 2011-04-18 9:03 AM

Jeff, good review.  I've had similar experience with the product and despite the cost will continue to take it throughout the year until my last A race.  I rode the MS150 this weekend averaging over 21mph and finished feeling fresh and ready to go ride again.  That's mostlyy due to the cycling focused training I've been doing recently, but I think the fresh feeling is partially due to the supplement.

The only thing in your blog review I disagree with is that you eliminated the placebo affect by checking with your fellow blogger.  Even if you'd checked with a dozen people who had similar results, the placebo affect is a very real thing.  Your bias in favor of EFS products may have made you more susceptable to the placebo, but even those without a bias are still likely to experience it. 

Unfortunately, there isn't likely to ever be a scientific study that thoroughly and objectively studies Optygen HP and gives us specifics on if and how much it helps.  The studies that examine individual ingredients, combined with anectodal evidence, will probably have to be enough. 

I actually agree 100% with you.  N=2 has as much significance as N=1 in this case (and most othesSmile

That was basically for my own piece of mind.  I have had a ton of success with First Endurance products and at this point I am biased in their favor.  It was meant to be viewed as anecdotal but in reality was intentionally self-serving.  

2011-04-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3453145

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
JeffIrvin - 2011-04-18 2:45 PM
AndrewMT - 2011-04-18 9:03 AM

I actually agree 100% with you.  N=2 has as much significance as N=1 in this case (and most othesSmile

That was basically for my own piece of mind.  I have had a ton of success with First Endurance products and at this point I am biased in their favor.  It was meant to be viewed as anecdotal but in reality was intentionally self-serving.  

I've found myself growing the same bias.  My experience with Optygen has led me to start using other EFS products as well.

Are you still planning on discontinuing the Optygen after IMTX?

2011-04-18 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3453156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
AndrewMT - 2011-04-18 2:49 PM
JeffIrvin - 2011-04-18 2:45 PM 

I've found myself growing the same bias.  My experience with Optygen has led me to start using other EFS products as well.

That is the plan, stop for about six weeks.  I am doing Rev3 Cedar Point in September and will start up on the Optygen HP 60 days out again.  My past experience with other supplements has taught that the effects are better when used in cycles.  With that being said, the plan is to use OptygenHP  eight weeks (60days) out from my "A" races to coincide with peak training.

And since training will be significantly scaled down recovery and lactic acid really aren't of concern.

How about you?  Are you going to keep taking it throughout the summer as you build?

2011-04-18 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3453190

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
JeffIrvin - 2011-04-18 3:02 PM
AndrewMT - 2011-04-18 2:49 PM  

That is the plan, stop for about six weeks.  I am doing Rev3 Cedar Point in September and will start up on the Optygen HP 60 days out again.  My past experience with other supplements has taught that the effects are better when used in cycles.  With that being said, the plan is to use OptygenHP  eight weeks (60days) out from my "A" races to coincide with peak training.

And since training will be significantly scaled down recovery and lactic acid really aren't of concern.

How about you?  Are you going to keep taking it throughout the summer as you build?

I'll probably continue to take it through the rest of this year.  I have a busy race schedule starting in June through early November, so there isn't really a down time.  At the very least I expect my training load to stay pretty high through Buffalo Springs 70.3 (June) and TX State TT champs (July).  Small break there and then the lead up to Austin 70.3 and Ironstar HIM.

2011-04-18 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3452762

Master
portland, or
spudone - 2011-04-18 9:33 AM

The only questionable thing I heard about Hammer was regarding their Liquid Endurance product.  And that was only because of a change to the prohibited substances list.  Hammer promptly removed it from the market when that happened.

Have you seen other problems?  A lot of people, including BTers use Hammer products so you should provide details if you're going to say something like that.

Google Rebekah Keat and Hammer Nutrition.

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Optygen.... Rss Feed