General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 27s
Overall Rank = 261/542
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 26/42
Pre-race routine:

Packed my bag the night before, up at 4a for some breakfast (coffee/clif bar/muscle milk), standard routine, racked the bikes and started the convoy to Oxford while praying to the weather gods for less buckets of rain than we heard overnight. Arrived, parked, went to packet pickup, chip pickup, no body marking, back to car, grabbed gear and bike, set up transition and double checked the plan. Rallied with friends, and wandered to the upper gallery by 640a to relax and clear the mind as much as possible.
Swim
  • 13m 21s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first race swim. My opinion... bad, bad, bad. Didn't get as much swim training as I would have liked leading up to the event. I started off well but just couldn't find my rhythym at all. I am sure some of it was mental, as the swim was the great unknown and I was concerned about sapping my strength in the pool. I am not that fast of a swimmer right now, so I wasn't expecting to set any records, but I spent way too much time with my head above water.

On the plus side, I didn't stop and didn't hang on the ropes.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to develop a more consistent swim training plan and be able to find my rhythym and stay with the stroke.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

Everything was damp in transition, besides getting out of the pool (duh), which made slipping on my bike shoes a little more time consuming. I put the tri top on in T1, which took longer than planned, and conciously took a few seconds to relook everything and make sure I had it all together. Crossed the mount line, off to the side, and did a standing mount. Off to the races...

Actually use the plastic bags I brought to keep my towel dry. Come up with a better plan for the shoes, and swim with the tri top on. Now that the weather is warm and I can get the bike outside, work on speeding up the mount time.
Bike
  • 44m 55s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, happy with the ride. I fell a little behind my goal (12mph) on the hills (I saw 9 at one point) but kept a steady climb going the whole way. Conservative in the corners due to the road conditions and the fact that I have only had about 3 rides with the bike in this configuration.

Anticipate the downhills a little more and get speed up sooner. Also need to practice gearing at bottom of hills to find the right combo to carry speed up the hill as much as possible. Drink more on bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I had practiced riding feet out of shoes, but didn't want to disturb my first race karma, so I opted not to test the theory in front of a crowd on a wet road. Those seconds didn't mean anything in this race anyway. Unclipped, nearly standing dismount and shuffled to T2.

Practice a faster, barefoot dismount. Drink more on the bike. Had a slight side cramp as I knelt to slip on running shoes. Consider downshifting earlier to relax legs on last part of ride.
Run
  • 24m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty happy with the run as well. Shook off the heavy legs fairly quickly (1/4 mi?) and found my pace. I am sure the transition music helped since headphones are not allowed on the course. One water stop on the out and back 1 mi/2 mi point, they were only on the backside of the course. I would have preferred them on the outside, water in the last mile doesn't do much. There were almost a few collisions with people crossing each other for water. Probably should have had a table and vols on both sides.

Negative splits pretty much the whole way, and I felt pretty good after the first 1/2 mi. It was just the unknowns, and the fact that I wanted to finish upright that kept me from pushing harder. Pushed the last 500m pretty hard, but could have started sooner and pushed harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Just keep moving. Walked, chip removal, walked, banana, coffee, high 5 for a job well done, then collected my gear before the big rain rolled in. Finished the warm-down with a few tall carb-loaded icy beverages and wings at BW3s

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than the swim, which I need more training on, the majority of my limitations were mental. Now that I have "been there, done that" I can compare my bricks to an actual race experience and be able to adjust my performance to that.

Event comments:

This is my first Tri and my first HFP event but I have been to numerous running events (large and small). I think this race was well organized and supported. Enthusiastic volunteers and supportive spectators despite the less than perfect weather. Packet pickup was generally speedy, if they could have lined things up a little better there might have been less chaos before the race. The chaos/crowding mainly came from the packet line and chip line criss-crossing and intermingling right between the only door from the parking garage and transition area. Thankfully, pretty much everyone was helpful and polite to each other.

Overall, I had a great time with my first race and look forward to making some improvements over the next 6 weeks.

Last updated: 2011-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:21 | 437 yards | 03m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/42
Overall: 499/542
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Indoor 50m x 8 lane serpentine course
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:55 | 13.05 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/42
Overall: 182/542
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly up and down with a few flat spots. Surfaces were mostly clear with some areas of gravel and a few small potholes. Conservative through the cornering due to the wet roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/42
Overall: 173/542
Performance: Average
Course: Fairly flat out and back course across the campus dorms, mostly on sidewalks. Had to watch for cracks, curbs, puddles, drunk college students, etc.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 12:06 PM

User image

Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2011-04-18 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3452677

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
Well Done on your FIRST Tri! Super glad I could be with you when you gave up your Tri Cherry. Don't worry, I will get the Y card and we can work out a schedule (holy shite, did I really just say schedule?!?!? Hmph) and you can get better at and more comfortable with the swim. Great Job SBR/Love.

Edited by twinklebug 2011-04-18 1:45 PM
2011-04-18 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3452970

User image

twinklebug - 2011-04-18 2:43 PM Well Done on your FIRST Tri! Super glad I could be with you when you gave up your Tri Cherry. Don't worry, I will get the Y card and we can work out a schedule (holy shite, did I really just say schedule?!?!? Hmph) and you can get better at and more comfortable with the swim. Great Job SBR/Love.

Sweet! Going to trade my V card for a Y card. That has to be good right? :-)

2011-04-18 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3452677

User image

Delaware, OH

The two of you are so cute it makes me want to barf.

Welcome to the world of TRIs RunningFlyr!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed