General Discussion Race Reports! » Run the Trails - Herb Parsons Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Run the Trails - Herb Parsons Lake - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Memphis, Tennessee
United States
Start2Finish
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 3s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after having a great nights sleep, drank some Gatorade and tried to figure out what I was going to wear. It was 44 degrees when I woke up but I knew the forecast called for it to be in the 70s later that afternoon. I hate to be cold, so I went with tights and a t shirt (which was too much)
Event warmup:

Got to the race site, got my chip and walked around, occasionally talking to racers. This was a much different crowd than I see at normal races, so I really did not know anyone.
Run
  • 1h 30m 3s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I had really planned on taking this run easy and using it as a long training run, but I wanted to finish under 90 minutes. So when it started, I really had to talk to myself and remind myself to go slow.. I got into a comfortable pace and was doing well until I had the bright idea to jump across a creek to the other bank. It was not graceful at all and felt like I jammed my right ankle when I landed. The ankle only bothered me for a little while and I soon got over it. We hit the 3 mile mark of the trail and my GPS said 24 minutes and I knew I was going way to fast, this was not my plan, so I went with it and decided I would run whatever pace I was comfortable with. Not alot happened throughout the race, around mile 4, the dude behind me bit it pretty hard, but was okay.
My Garmin display had somehow been changed so in the section that I normally have total distance was changed to total calories, so that really through me off. I thought the satellites were having trouble connecting through the trees, so I pretty much kept my eyes on the path ahead of me.
At about mile 7, my left groin started flaring up abit and was painful on the uphills and downhill, I was fine on the flat parts of the course, so I ran when I could and walk when I had too.
Only issuse I had was that the drink stations were setup at miles 2 and 7, which seemed like odd places for me. I do not need water at mile 2 and by mile 7 it was too late. At 7, I did take an E-gel and wash it down with some water. I actually stopped in order to do this, wish I hadn't, because I would have been under my time goal of 1:30 if I'd kept moving!
What would you do differently?:

Bring hydration and better nutrition before the race. I ate nothing in the morning.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, stretched as best I could and drank Gatorade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the hills and the mud! I am not that great a trail runner, so more experience on the trails would definately help!

Event comments:

I really did like this race the following day! I know I will be back!

Last updated: 2010-12-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:30:03 | 9.5 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: One lap around Herb Parsons Lake, which twists and turns all over the place. The path was pretty well clean except foe some occasional mud spots throughout.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes