Carmel Swim Club
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 32s
Overall Rank = 557/627
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 28/29
Pre-race routine:

Alarm set for 5:00 AM, but mostly woke up at 3:00 AM and tossed and turned a while. Diet Coke (I don't drink coffee), English muffin with peanut butter, banana, Gatorade an hour before the start and GU 15 minutes before the start. Got to the transition right at 6:30- my bride and I were the third and fourth bikes there.
Event warmup:

Swam 300 meters - felt good. Walked around a bit and tried not to be nervous- this is only the third tri of my life
Swim
  • 07m 10s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

My goal was to be sub-7 minutes. In retrospect, I wish I had pushed a little harder. Nice open water in front of me- passed two and was passed by one. Pretty happy with how I seeded myself- bib number 130 and I came in 112. I did see one woman in the first 30 or so that was dog paddling - looked like she was getting destroyed by all of the fast swimmers. Others had trouble this year with the traffic, but I was really happy.
What would you do differently?:

I should have done flip turns with the nice empty walls that I had, however I hadn't practied turning and pushing off under the lane line.
Transition 1
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

I'm hurting from Plantar Fascitis so I stopped right after the swim to put on some sandals to get to the bike- tripped and nearly fell a couple of times. Due to the cold, I took an extra chance to dry off a bit more than usual. I also broke the cardinal rule- don't do anything new on race day. The day before I bought a new bike jacket, which I proceeded to put on upside down, and then couldn't get zipped. I thought I was going to be a little better than this.

Practice transitions, and don't do ANYTHING new on race day!
Bike
  • 39m 51s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.06 mile/hr
Comments:

One word - WIND! It doesn't sense, but it seemed like the majority of the race was into the wind! There was one brief stretch that I was cruising at ~30, then a corner, and back down to like 12 mph. This is the first race I actually passed people, although I was passed many thousands of times! I spent the winter on the trainer which helped, but in no way prepared me for the wind. I really felt sorry for the folks on fat tire bikes sitting up high- that was me last year - very thankful for the road bike I bought late last year.

Get out on the road more. Get stronger, and get more comfortable on my relatively new bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Seriously, almost 4 minutes? Ugh. Nothing went wrong, guess I'm just pokey changing shoes.

Speed laces maybe, and oh yeah, PRACTICE TRANSITIONS!
Run
  • 39m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to walk 99% of the route due to the PF. At least my doc and PT will be glad I did. Foot was pretty sore but I walked as quickly as I could. Nice people on the way with encouragement. Needless to say I didn't pass anyone. I wish I could rank my "Overall Walk"! Humorously, at the finish, a wind gust caught the blow-up arch thing just I was crossing, and everyone had a good laugh as I tried to do the limbo as I went under!

Heal my heel.
Post race
Warm down:

Hydrated and had a great time sharing stories with my wife (who kicked my butt) and friends. They do a GREAT post race- Noodles and Company puts out a great spread!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Left foot and my brain. I need to learn to push harder.

Event comments:

Just a fantastic experience with so many great people. I hope to do this race every year!

Last updated: 2011-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:10 | 437 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 112/627
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: 50 meter, 8 lane serpentine swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:51 | 10 miles | 15.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 457/627
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: New course this year- I counted 23 turns, but it wasn't too bad. The police did a brilliant job with traffic control.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:59
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal