United States
Ironman
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

picked up my packet on Friday. Packet had lots of flyers and some magazines but fairly short on goodies except for the standard Tech shirt. Pretty much expected this. Turns out Runnerg1rl7 from BT was the one handing me my waivers! Sorry we didn’t get to chat! Checked out the expo and found the prices were not to my liking and headed home.
Saturday picked up a 2nd bottle cage and was off to coach my daughters softball team. Unfortunately the weekly practice had been canceled due to rain and they played like it and lost 4-2. They are 2-1 in their division and are still in first place!
After the game headed down to bike check in and got there around 7:30pm. Tried to put the cage on but wrong allen wrench. Luckily Bicycle World was there and helped me out. Leaving bike check in I decided to drive along the shore. Wind was pretty wicked and the chop was bad. Headed off to my cheapo hotel, picking up some food from Whole foods on the way. Around 2am some bozo is trying to get into my room. I turn on the light and yell something not so nice. I get a “Sorry, wrong room” and was gone. Got up around 4:15, typical breakfast of PB sandwich, Banana, and Diet Pepsi. Packed up and was off to the race. Found a great parking spot, grabbed my gear and made the short hike to Transition. Markings done and am in transition pumping tires when they make the announcement that the swim was canceled due to 23mph winds and it would be a time-trial bike start followed by the run. At first it was too dark to see but eventually with day light it was clear the water was rough. We could have swam it but they couldn’t get rescue craft out there (not to mention the buoys). Some grumblings but then the realization that we were going to have a rough ride.
Got to meet Shelly and her husband from my Mentor group! Saw Marty (MJLRun) and met a couple of BTers (Mike and Ryan).
Got to see the Pros start, unfortunately Andy Potts was not there but several others were and it was cool to see. My wave started in the back and waited until after 8:30 to start.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 1931 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim canceled!!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 3h 01m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Never have done a time trial start and not 100% this is the way to do it. Since we had to walk so far from our rack to start I just decided to leave my shoes on. They were letting everyone go in pairs every 2-3 seconds. I get up to line and the guy on the left says go but the guy on the rights says “hold!”. WTF, then he says “sorry, go!”. Run the 20 yards to mount jump on and pedal. Surprisingly I clip in fairly quickly and am off. Round a corner and I knew there was a tail wind. Tuck in and crank. All the way to the top of my gears, pedaling easily and I am doing 26mph. I see the riders coming the opposite direction and they look slow and miserable.
First three miles
• Mile 1 – avg 22.9 with max of 28.6
• Mile 2 – avg 24 with max of 27.5
• Mile 3 – avg 25.7 with max of 26.9
Hit a turn around and:
• Mile 4 – avg 16.2 with max of 24.6
• Mile 5 – avg 15.8 with max of 20.6
• Mile 6 – avg 17.7 with max of 23.4
Bikes everywhere and there were times it was simply impossible to not be in a drafting situation. At one point we are climbing up a bridge, wind against us and it was about 8 of us just spinning trying not to be blown over. Roads were typical NOLA roads and there were areas with tons of bottles and CO2 on the ground. Most of the ride was either tucked down trying to ride against the wind or tucked down enjoying a tail wind. Lots of stats of 14-17 mph then next 3 miles would be 21+mph. Got passed a lot but later in the race I passed a whole bunch of folks.
One shout to the (I believe 2nd female pro). I was coming down a hill in aero, munching on a granola bar. I look over and coming the other way is the female pro (I believe I saw Julie Dibens pass first). She makes eye contact and has a huge smile on her face. Not sure if she was having fun or that I looked so dorky that it made her laugh. Either way it was fun.
My aero bottle had Gatorade and my one bottle in the cage had Infinit. Between that and my salt capsules I didn’t bother at the 1st aid station and the 2nd one I grabbed a bottle but didn’t use it until transition. At the 3rd aid station I was yelling for a powerbar. This woman hands me this thing and says “it’s a bit warm.” To be honest it was an unwrapped chocolate powerbar but being warm and twisted up it looked like a turd (sorry, but true). A quick sniff test confirmed it was edible and actually quite good warm.
As I approached transition I took my feet out of the shoes, flying dismount and I was off. Unfortunately my legs were a little slow to respond so my run was more like a shuffle.

What would you do differently?:

Overall about what I was expecting as I was shooting for around 3 hrs. I do believe with easier winds I could have hit a sub 3 hr mark. I spent most of the time in aero position and was a little sore at the end but nothing too bad. More long rides will cure that.
Transition 2
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

Long a$$ run to my bike rack, ugh. Rack bike switch gear. Put on suntan lotion, sucked down a Perform (Gatorade?) with a couple of salt capsules, Porto break and I was off. They really needed more porto’s in transition and I lost a minute or two there easily in line.

More time on bike or learn how to pee on the bike
Run
  • 2h 37m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn’t expecting a lot from my run but hoped to beat last year’s debacle. First mile it felt like the muscles in my thighs were just flopping around. Weird feeling but it worked out. Skipped the 1st aid station and at the second just grabbed a powerbar. I was doing the short stride with high turnover and it was working for me. I chatted with a whole bunch of runners and folks cheering us on. Lots of people out there and it was great and I was having a blast! I was wearing my BR Tri shirt and got lots of cheers from the members out there. By mile 4 I found that the aid stations had cola and it was wonderful! Every other mile I popped a salt capsule. By mile 6 I was amazed how well it was going. Mile 7 came and I felt a couple of twinges in the knees and quickly started walking a little. By mile 9 both knees hurt and was reduced to run a minute walk a minute. TBH it was a bit of a painfest but I really wanted a decent ½ mary time (although I knew I would not get one). Just kept going and the worst was the final ¼ to ½ mile to the finish line. Lots of people cheering on and felt stupid to walk. Just before the finish line I took off my hat and put on a huge grin. Shelly from my mentor group was there to put on my finishers medal and hand me a 70.3 hat.

Definitely better than last year and I am happy with it. Not sure what I am going to do if I am going for a full short of walking most of the run. I really think I need to get much stronger on the bike which will make my run easier. More run training will also help. I believe my decision is to switch to a HIM and delay my IM dream for another year.
Post race
Warm down:

Chugged a bottle of water, walked to stretch, grabbed some food (hmmm Pizza), stopped by the BR Tri tent and headed to the athlete bus back to transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Winds on the bike and knees on the run

Last updated: 2010-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1931 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:01:59 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with several turn arounds
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:10
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:37:45 | 13.1 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: point to point with several turn arounds
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-19 4:16 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: Ochsner Ironman New Orleans 70.3

2011-04-19 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3455355

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ochsner Ironman New Orleans 70.3
Nice report and great race. I know what those 25 + mph winds are like. It is like that all spring here. Sucks the life out of you until you turn around then - WHEEEE!
2011-04-21 12:57 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Good work out there Gary and informative RR too!    It was cool meeting you before the race. 

2011-04-23 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Great race Gary!! Nice job hanging tough, sounds like you had some brutal conditions out there!!
2011-05-02 4:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

I heard about the swim being cancelled. Major bummer!

Great job dealing with the day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ochsner Ironman New Orleans 70.3 Rss Feed