General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5150 or Pumpkinman Half? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-26 4:50 PM

Subject: 5150 or Pumpkinman Half?
Anyone planning to do either of these? Which one would be better? Do you know any pros and cons of either? Thanks

2011-04-26 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3467502

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: RE: 5150 or Pumpkinman Half?

Amrosco - 2011-04-26 2:50 PM Anyone planning to do either of these? Which one would be better? Do you know any pros and cons of either? Thanks

Pumpkinman:

Pros - Local race, well-run, great swag, cheaper, Lake Mead has very clear water

Cons - Point to Point Tri, Hills isn't a joke. It's VERY hilly (just look at the avg speed of a MOP'er), 4 different distances on similar course (dependent on what you like), Lake Mead bottom can be ROCKY - many people have torn up their feet trying to get in the water - I think this is due to poor entry choice. Transition can be a little crowded, but not too bad. 

Pros - one distance, one race; Hilly, but not as severe as Pumpkinman, not point to point, very nice area, and spector friendly, more well known pros may be racing (I don't know who, but it's possible), first year of 5150 (depends on how you look at it).

Cons - slightly expensive for a Olympic, The area that this is raced in can be slightly "crowded", but not too bad. Ironman brand (not exactly a Negative, but it is run by WTC, and the rules are more stricter), Lake Las Vegas is murky.  I'm not sure where's the Host Hotel is, but if it's at Lowes, it can easily get crowded at the start because it's in a small lagoon, then opens up in a lake.  If OWS doesn't bother you and people running you over, then it's not a big deal. I know for some people it is. It doesn't bother me. I just kick back. :-)

I have not decided which ones I'm going to race for.  The money matters to me the most actually. I have done the Pumpkinman Olympic, and wouldn't mind doing it again, but it's on the same day as RTC Viva Bike Vegas. So I'm going to wait a while before deciding what to do with the rest of my season. 

So, really they both should be good, but I think it comes down to your preference of whether to have Ironman brand race or a Local race as well as price as well on whether you want to train for a Half or an Olympic.

2011-04-27 7:11 AM

User image

Good post on the comparison of the two DJ, tanks.

One thing I think that made Lake Mead rocky and muddy (and undesirable to get in and out of at Boulder Beach) the last year or so has been the low water level. It was so low that it was below the concrete ramps. The water level is now up a little and when I did Rage a week or two ago we were able to enter and exit on the concrete ramps which makes a big difference.

I think I'm in on the Pumpkin Man. I still have my old TJ kit and it's black and orange
2011-04-27 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

FYI to you all kids. The race may be a WTC event, but the management from Silverman is running this race. Frank is the race director for the 5150, and I will be managing the swim course.

The swim will start from the other end of the lake where Montelago is. Same as Silverman swim start, but an Olympic course.

Loews is the host resort for all our races there. IronGirl, 70.3 world championship, 5150 and ITU and Silverman. Great resort with lots to do there.

It's going to be a very fun and challenging course, come on out. not to be bias, but I used to help BBSC, and they have gotten really chip with their staff and volunteers. I know of a few of us on the management side that are still waiting to be paid after a year has gone by. That is why you will not see me involved with BBSC again. Since it was sold to this Colorado company over a 1 1/2 ago, this new management only cares about profits and not the athlete.

Take care tri-peeps, and good luck this season. Cheers!!

2011-04-27 11:43 PM

User image

I am planning on doing the Pumpkinman HIM. The course is hilly. I did the oly for Showdown at Sundown at the end of March and that ride up to Boulder City is no joke, expecially at the end of the bike. I am still excited about Pumpkinman and know I will be training with the hills in mind.
2011-04-29 12:27 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I'm also planning on doing the Pumpkinman HIM this year. I did the Oly distance last year & loved it. But I also agree that the bike course is very hilly.

2011-05-02 10:52 AM

User image

Las Vegas
I'm doing both!  The 5150 should be a great warmup for the Pumpkinman Half!!! I went swimming in Lake Mead the other day and the entry point at Boulder Beach wasn't nearly as bad as it was all last year, so hopefully it stays that way throughout the summer...
2011-05-03 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3477581

User image

Master
Sin City

jkossman - 2011-05-02 8:52 AM I'm doing both!  The 5150 should be a great warmup for the Pumpkinman Half!!! I went swimming in Lake Mead the other day and the entry point at Boulder Beach wasn't nearly as bad as it was all last year, so hopefully it stays that way throughout the summer...

It probably will get even better. That's because the snow from the Rockies are melting, and they're on their way to fill up Lake Mead.   Last year, the water levels dropped dramatically, hence why it was a little awful last year. 

I was told that by August, the water levels should be much higher and will be better. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5150 or Pumpkinman Half? Rss Feed