3 Disciplines Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 38s
Overall Rank = 6/60
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

The cool thing about the Grand Duathlon is that it is close by, and it has a late race start. Therefore, I was able to ease into the morning. I did the usual eat breakfast thing while I iced. After this I made sure the packing I did the night before had everything I needed. Since everything was good-to-go, I was able to put my backpack on and ride the 8.5 miles to the race site. At this point, I registered, racked my bike and hung out with my friend Ryan and his friend Scott.
Event warmup:

I didn't do any warm-up other than the ride there and some light stretching. I didn't want to test my Achilles and use up any time I would be able to run on the warm-up.
Run
  • 22m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I maintained a very conservative effort and closely monitored my (rt) Achilles. It was sore, but it maintained it's level of soreness. Because it never got any worse and the soreness was moderate, I knew that unless something weird happened, I would at least be able to start the second run.
I ran very comfortably was happy with the how my Achilles performed.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I think I did what I had to do. Pushing the pace might have upset the delicate balance I was achieving. It wasn't terribly fast, but it was what it was.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Yeah...it was taking me longer than I would have liked and Ryan was standing just outside the fence, so I said something to the effect of, "I couldn't think of anything else to make this slower."
At this point I pulled my bike off the rack and my backpack followed me. I then said something like, "Oh, well, there's that."
I detatched my backpack and a bunch of my things fell out. I started tossing them back and my glasses case slid across the pavement.
"Could you get that? There are actually glasses in there. Thanks."
Finally, I was able to jog over the the mount line and...well...mount.

Make sure my bag isn't attached to my bike.
Bike
  • 49m 45s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 22.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I worked hard, passed a fair amount of people and set myself up for a possible nice finish, regardless of my run pace. It was a confidence booster to be able to ride that well, particularly on the heels of the 56 mile ride I rode the day before, and still not being dialed into my bike.

Nothing. I feel really good about my performance on the bike today.
Transition 2
  • 00m 33s
Comments:

This went much more smoothly and as far as transitions go, this was about par for the course for me.

Nothing, it went pretty well.
Run
  • 20m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

My Achilles felt good right out of the gate, but I didn't press the issue. I started out conservatively again and without realizing it, I gradually increased my pace. I kept it steady after I realized I was working harder because I didn't want to blow out my Achilles.
However, with about 3/4 of a mile to go I passed two gentlemen and increased my pace slightly because I knew if it came down to a sprint finish, that I wouldn't be participating. I eased by them and widened the gap simply by maintaining my new pace.

Nothing, this run was WAY beyond my expectations. I was prepared to either not start the second run or possibly drop out half-way (where it doubles back on itself). Thrilled.
Post race
Warm down:

After hanging out with Ryand and Scott, and eating the food that was provided, I did some light stretching while I waited for the awards. After this I rode the 8.5 miles back home...into the wind.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I would have liked to have raced this with a strong Achilles. I think I could have been in the top three. Having said that, I am absolutely thrilled with my result. It was a real confidence booster for me.

Event comments:

This is a solid beginning of the season race. It's pretty low key and it helps set the tone for the season. This was the last year at this venue, after 13 years of having it here. It's been a good ride Grand Duathlon. Thank you 3D for keeping it alive.
Next year it may be at Kentwood H.S. which is just down the road. I suspect they may use portions of the existing bike course, but this remains to be seen.

Last updated: 2010-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:04 | 03.11 miles | 07m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/12
Overall: 22/60
Performance: Good
Course: This was a flat, out-and-back course. I believe it is short, but that was certainly ok with me today.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:55
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:49:45 | 18.64 miles | 22.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 2/60
Wind: Strong
Course: Again with the out and back theme. It was mostly flat, but there were a few hills to keep things interesting. The most challenging hill was not the steepest, but it was a fairly long, gradual hill, but it was right into the wind. The wind fortunately effected us most on the way out, so we had a nice tailwind on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:23 | 03.11 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 8/60
Course: Same course as the first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-01 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
CALEDONIA/MIDDLEVILLE, MICHIGAN
Subject: Steelcase, Grand Duathlon

2011-05-02 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3475981

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Steelcase, Grand Duathlon
Awesome! Way to negative split the runs, very impressive.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Steelcase, Grand Duathlon Rss Feed