General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Saskatchewan Night Trail Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fort Saskatchewan Night Trail Race - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fort Sask, Alberta
Canada
5Peaks Trail Race Series
2C / 36F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 40s
Overall Rank = 110/217
Age Group = Femaile Open
Age Group Rank = 20/71
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race site and checked in. Wandered around and stretched.
Event warmup:

Easy jogging and stretching
Run
  • 1h 09m 40s
  • 11.2 kms
  • 06m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Super cool run! I've never done a night race or even really a run in the dark with just a headlamp to illuminate my path. The section in the woods was pretty difficult to navigate at some points with some sections that you more or less had to climb up. The fields were as expected and I had to be on my game and focused on where I was stepping the entire time to make sure I didn't have a bipedalism fail and fall down or twist my ankle. Haha. It was super cool to see the lines of people meandering through the winding course in the fields and forest. Something I think everyone should try out! :)
What would you do differently?:

Probably practice running in a field in the dark with a headlamp on.
Post race
Warm down:

I kind of wandered around and had some food and stretched a little bit. Not a dedicated warm down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It was a trail run...and well, you never know what is going to end up being thrown at you. It is definately a "go with the flow" type of situation. Huge puddles and mud, winding terrain, single track forest trails and then the darkness added on top. I think I did as good as was possible for me to do?

Event comments:

Really wicked event! First night race that has been run up here to my knowledge! The race was organised and there were tons of volunteers at major switch back points in the winding course to help you figure out where the course continued. The race started just before sunset at around 930.

Course was well marked with the reflective flags and any major stumps, rocks or branches were well marked with reflective pins to make sure that they were easily seen.

Last updated: 2011-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:40 | 11.2 kms | 06m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 20/71
Overall: 110/217
Performance: Good
Course: Really cool course. They had the course marked with reflective flags that glowed when the light from the headlamp hit. The course started in a field and followed some of the nordic ski trails and then when through a single track trail through the woods and finished going back through the same area with the nordic ski trails and ended in the field. The terrain was quite wet and undulating and I was covered in mud by the end!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-01 3:00 PM

User image

Champion
Subject: Fort Saskatchewan Night Trail Race

2011-05-01 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3476059

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: Fort Saskatchewan Night Trail Race
Nice job!  Way to stay on your feet!
2011-05-01 7:34 PM
in reply to: #3476382

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Fort Saskatchewan Night Trail Race

disturbed275 - 2011-05-01 5:52 PM Nice job!  Way to stay on your feet!

Thanks Neal!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort Saskatchewan Night Trail Race Rss Feed