General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Flying Pig Marathon
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 40m 9s
Overall Rank = 7342/10870
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 583/995
Pre-race routine:

As usual, got to the site extra, extra early. Got ready, took a half-hour nap, then walked to the starting line corrals, or Pig Pens.

It was beginning to rain, a cold rain, one that goes to the bone. As I was walking to my Pen, I stopped a couple times in a porta potty (there was no line and plenty were vacant) to just get away from it.

I toughed it out and got to my Pen, moving my way forward so that I could seek shelter under an overpass. I was not looking forward to racing in this rain. It was barely 60 degrees and the wind blowing off of the Ohio wasn't warming things up. I was going to be miserable...
Event warmup:

In addition to the walk, did some stretching and ankle and hip rolls.
Run
  • 2h 40m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

...I didn't even hear the gun go off I was so far back. Just started moving forward with the others. I began walking past people in the rain so I could start sooner than later so I could get the race overwith.

As I was walking fast, and especially as I began running after crossing the timing chip mat, I was delighted to observe that the rain wasn't nearly as cold as I thought it would be. Indeed, pretty soon I realized how good it felt.

It rained for about the first 45 minutes of the race. Once it died off, I pulled out my iPod and kicked off the music with Adele's Rolling in the Deep.

There were 6-7 hills on the course, a few of which were on bridges. I kept telling myself to take it easy and pace myself because I wanted to be able to report than I ran the entire 13.1 miles...

• ..And I am happy to report just that! From mile 7 onward, there were many times when I wanted to take a break and walk. Plus my HR was pretty high for me. I just slowed down on my run and brought it back to a comfortable mid-170s.

• Miles 10-13 were the hardest. You know you're so close, but still have a few miles to run. Thank goodness for the iPod, especially the last mile. It began to rain hard enough to warrant tossing the iPod back into my Fuel Belt, so I did. Pretty soon I realized I absolutely had to have it to get through this last mile, so I pulled it back out. Luckily, the rain turned back into a mist.

Thanks to R.E.M.'s It's the End of the World as We Know It, I picked up my pace the last quarter mile and crossed the Finish Swine.

I couldn't believe I'd run the whole thing without even stopping and especially without even stopping to stretch. I think in my first/last HM, I had to walk a little bit on mile 11 or 12, and I stopped multiple times to stretch.

That is probably why I knocked EIGHT MINUTES off my time over last! Woo hoo. I thought I'd see an additional 15 on my time for this run given how little I'd trained and adding in the hills.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with my performance in this race.
    What would you do differently?:

I always write "train for speed" in this box. Today's no exception.
    Post race
    Warm down:

As soon as I stopped running after crossing the "Finish Swine," I had a little difficulty adjusting to walking. I wanted to just lay down, but I had to make it through the Recovery Station.

After eating 1.5 bananas, a few bites of a bagel

Last updated: 2010-12-24 12:00 AM
    Running
    02:40:09 | 13.1 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
    Age Group: 0/995
    Overall: 0/10870
    Performance: Good
    Average heart rate was 183 and the maximum was 194. Elevation Gain was 1,170 feet and the Elevation Loss was 1,127 feet. I burned 1,630 calories. Small bag of Doritos, here I come!
    Course: Graded in spots with a few hills. They weren't as difficult as I thought they'd be.
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Good
    Mental exertion [1-5] 4
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Average
    Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
    2011-05-01 3:41 PM

User image

Master
    Loveland, Ohio
    Subject: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon

2011-05-13 9:41 AM
    in reply to: #3476121

User image

McLean, Virginia
    Subject: RE: Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon
    Great job Lora!!  Always great when you make an improvement, especially a huge one like 8 minutes!!  Keep it up!
    General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed