General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super-slow run in a tri race compared to stand-alone running race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-22 1:47 PM

Subject: Super-slow run in a tri race compared to stand-alone running race
I had very unsatisfying runs during a recent Sprint and Oly tri races. The pace was 8:16 (Sprint, 3mile) and 9:30 (Oly, 10K), compared to my recent stand-alone road race pace of 7:02 and 7:25. Do these results tell you that I biked too hard? I am coming from a runnign background (although very short) to tri and I am a bike newbie (riding consistently for 1/2yr). I do brick workouts. I did a few 10/2/10/2 (10mile bike followed by 2m run x 2) before an Oly and I did a few tempo bike rides followed by a mile (hard) run at 7:05-7:20pace. Was these bricks simply not enough or I biked too hard? Any advice will be appreciated!!

2005-08-22 1:49 PM
in reply to: #230860

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Super-slow run in a tri race compared to stand-alone running race
Nobody here can really give you the right answer. But, if I were in the same situation, I would increase my bike milage for sure so that I could maintain a higher speed and feel fresh entering T2. Your run speeds will not suffer that much in a tri if you back off of your running a touch and really increase your bike milage.

In an olympic, your nutrition could also be suspect. Evaluate that and see where you could improve and if that is the problem, get more calories and better hydration.

Mike

Edited by Rollin' Thunder 2005-08-22 1:50 PM
2005-08-23 11:35 AM

Regular
Show Low, Arizona
Have you been doing any "bricks" in training?? I'm a super slow runner to start with, but found that if I do at least 1 brick workout a week, my run is much better on race day.

Good Luck!!!!

Mary
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may never finish 1st or make it to Kona, but I’m proud of the fact that I had the courage to begin my journey.
2005-08-23 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington DC
Bricks are an important consideration, and fueling & hydrating may play a role as well.

The greatest area for improvement here is probably running technique. When the difference beween triathlon 10K pace and open 10K pace is too great, it is usually an indication of running technique that uses the quadriceps too much. The quads will generally be the most fatigued muscle coming off the bike. With good technique, the quads are not involved in generating propulsion on the run, but most triathletes use techniques that ask too much of the quads. This article has information about techniques that will help close the gap between trithlon 10K pace and open 10K pace. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... More information is available in my book The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training and my video Evolution Running: Run Faster with Fewer Injuries. Both are available at www.Fitness-Concepts.com I hope this helps! Ken
2005-08-23 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
While you may be exspending too much energy in the bike, you need to look at what your time on the bike would be if you slow down.

For instance, I run ~7.5 min miles when I do stand alone events, but in the Tri I do ~9 min miles. So my time varies from 25:30 to 27 or 28 min. a three minute diference. I come from a bike background, so I generally can finish in the top 10 on the bike leg. Should I give up 3-5 minutes on the bike to help my run? Probably not, and the bike is actually where I make up the most time.

So look at how changing your energy output will affect your time. You say you come from a running background, so maybe running is where you'll make up your time.
2005-08-23 3:50 PM
in reply to: #231887

Mmmm... I am a middle packer for bike and usually top 3 in my run in my AG. It is the challenge to figure out how much bike output I should reduce to run at much closer pace to my stand-alone 5K, to have the best overall time.

2005-08-24 12:34 AM

Regular
rolling thunder got it right......if you are super fit on the bike you get to T2 with much less fatigue, and you will be able to run faster straight off the bike. I have really slacked off on my run training and I'm doing ok on race day becuase of better fitness on the bike.
2005-08-24 2:41 AM

Regular
I came from a running background and also had a disappointing run. I thought my 1/2 marathon pace would be a good guide ~7:00 and on race day I was down around 8:00.

I found I had no idea what effort I was putting in on the run. It was such a different (unpleasent) feeling to normal running I had no idea what my pace was or how hard I was going. Was really frustrting because I felt like I had plenty of energy left.

I've been working on brick sessions and a lot of them. I'm sure you can't get use to that feeling but so it's not so much of a shock. Biking endurence and technique. I know I rely on the quads too much when cycling.
Does this seem about right? From the posts here you seem to be saying similar.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super-slow run in a tri race compared to stand-alone running race Rss Feed