5150 Triathlon Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 17s
Overall Rank = 664/994
Age Group = W25-29
Age Group Rank = 82/104
Pre-race routine:

Got to transition and body marked by 4:55am, set up. Luckily my friend Erica (same age group and close last name) was right next to me in transition, so I had company for set-up! Tried to ignore my nerves, walked over to the swim area. Met up with teammates and had a double latte gel 20 min before start time.
Event warmup:

Got in the water, swam around some, then jumped around a little to keep myself warm and headed over to the rest of the blue swim cap group lining up for our swim wave.
Swim
  • 21m 12s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was stuck behind a few slower people, and would try to pass to the left but then they would move out. I need to work on passing people, as I could have had a much better swim time if I had passed some of the slow people I was stuck behind. At times I was simply gliding and not even swimming because I kept hitting the people in front of me.
What would you do differently?:

Pass more, be more aggressive, don't be afraid to hit a few people!
Transition 1
  • 07m
Comments:

There was a half mile run on a concrete path from swim end to transition, as the swim was moved. This added probably 5 minutes to my time. Was wiped out on this jog from the swim. Ran into transition, threw on sunglasses and helmet, squirted water on my feet from an extra bottle and put on shoes and socks.

Took a drink from another water bottle, next time I will save myself 5 seconds of getting that. Run the whole way out with the bike, jump on rather than stop to mount bike.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 50s
  • 25 miles
  • 16.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Generally good. Had a scare ten miles in, as someone was passing me I turned my head because it surprised me, and I went into the gutter on the edge of the road. Luckily I caught myself but I was SURE I would get a flat. Stopped within a minute to double check tires, make sure my bike was ok. The girl behind me said it was a good catch and she thought I was going down. Lucky! After this I passed a pretty bad wreck (ambulance went by for the guy shortly after I passed him), and I was a little nervous and focused on my race and concentration after this.

Funny memory - guy passed me at mile 16 with armpit hair literally blowing in the wind.... he needed a trim! Grooooss.

Did a great job at end of bike of making gears easier to help my muscles in the run. This was very beneficial later.

My favorite part of the race day was about the last mile or two of the ride, entering the town and then the bay area and coming up on the sailboats and back to the transition area. I had already accomplished a lot - only a 6.2 mile run to go after this!

Not worry so much about being too tired for the run. I could have pushed myself a little more and gotten a faster time. Also corner better in the future!
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Glad I got elastic shoelaces! Put on running shoes quickly once the bike was racked, then remembered to take off helmet, grab visor and race belt, and go. Put hair in ponytail as I left transition area.

Can learn how to dismount while bike is moving, can also run faster with the bike in transition. This is no time for rest!
Run
  • 1h 08m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Brick was not bad, as I had used an easy gear at end of the bike to get my muscles ready. Ran the whole run which was a goal! Go me :) Went a little over 11 minute mile, deviated from the normal 10 minute mile. Drank gatorade at first two stops and felt very sick later on the run. Need to stick to water for the run in the future.

Run faster! Work on run speed, don't slow down because I am tired. Go my normal speed, don't drink gatorade
Post race
Warm down:

Given a cold towel along with my medal. Walked slowly out of the coral, got water, stopped to stretch quads - they were tight! But I did it :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure how tired I would be (bike) and didn't want to push myself too much. Also, a little slow on the run because I felt queazy for some of it and thought I might get sick

Event comments:

Very organized race, great course, location and organization. Great pick for my first triathlon (Olympic/in general). Hope to come down from Philly for St. A's again next year!

Note: Goal was 3:30, finished in 3:08. YES!!! :)

Last updated: 2011-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:12 | 1000 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/104
Overall: 2079/994
Performance: Average
Suit: Not wetsuit legal
Course: Changed course on race morning due to choppy water. Shortened from 1500 meters to 1000 meters.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:50 | 25 miles | 16.89 mile/hr
Overall: 2621/994
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 25 miles through St. Petersburg, closed roads and park roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:08:37 | 06.2 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 0/994
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back run through neighborhood
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-05-04 2:08 PM

Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2011-05-04 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3482086

User image

Master
Dirt Road
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Great job! Was it hot being from Philly?
2011-05-04 7:20 PM
in reply to: #3482311

Thanks - it was!  I poured a LOT of water on myself during the run.  Made sure to stay very hydrated, but I was definitely not used to the Florida weather
2011-05-04 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3482086

User image

New user

largo

Great Job! Luckily I am not a hairy person, I have enough to think about the night before a race without having to think about trimming my armpit hair! HAHA, GROSS!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed