General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 1h 12m 38s
Overall Rank = 37/399
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45. Car was packed ahead of time so I took my time getting ready. Out the door at 5:00, but had to stop for rubber bands and coffee. Pre race food was an english muffin with PBJ, water, coffee and some Infinit to sip on. Tried listening to music to pump me up and distract me from getting nervous. I got to the park with plenty of time to spare so at no point did I ever feel rushed. Talked to a few people and got my game face on.
Event warmup:

1 lap around the lake, about a mile. Put the wetsuit on and swam about 200m
Swim
  • 10m 32s
  • 600 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I never like TTP mass starts, as they are always nuts with people way to eager to race. No foul though. I always have trouble starting off, and in a sprint, by the time I found a groove the swim is over. Either way, Started out dead in the middle and started hard. Felt like I wasn't going anywhere though, so I pushed harder. Bad move though, as I was gassed 1/3 of the way in. Very foggy lake, and with bright sun made things very difficult to see. Ended up breathing every other stroke to compensate for going out too fast. Sighting was fine, drafting sucked. By the last buoy turn, I was swimming straight into the sun. Talk about flying blind

Out of the water as fast as I could, and sprinted to T1
What would you do differently?:

Masters is helping, but I still need to push harder in the water. In short races, I am loosing valuable time. Lower it by 1-2 minutes and I will be set.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Wetsuit stuck on ankles. Great. Got the bike and was ready to fly. However fate did not plan that for me. This was the first time ever that I have fucked up getting on the bike via flying mount. Could not find my feet into my shoes to save my life. Eventually I had to completely stop, take the shoes off the bike and put them on my feet first. Embarassed, and pissed.

Practice transitions. I always rock them, but this time, not so much
Bike
  • 38m 16s
  • 14.3 miles
  • 22.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out really good, TT effort, but eventually got too comfortable. Settled down to a high z3 and hung out. I was still pissed off about FUBARing T1. Passed a fair share of folks, but could not keep up with the main group. Happy with performance though.

My interval practices are helping, but I still need to learn to push to pain and hold it. Set an solid effort and dont budge, do not get confortable, there is no room for that.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Lost a shoe coming off the bike, but it did not slow me down too much. Fast, simple. Shoes on, pick up belt and go.

Practice transitions more
Run
  • 22m 4s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I will never be happy with my run until I can hit 20 on the 5k. I just dont know where to get that pop from. I get that I am working on long course stuff and not a lot of intervals, but I have upped my volume substantially and my 5k times have not really changed. Am I at the top of my natural ability? Maybe I am just not built to be a fast runner.

Intevals, track work. Hit that 20m 5k even if it kills me.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, some cookies, talked to some all3sports people and watched racers come in. I could not hang around for long though, as I had to hop out to Mississippi after the race. Stretched and tights and was on my way

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have no clue. It was a fast day, but I am coming to a realization that I will never be 100% happy with my times or effort. Am I proud of the work? Of course. But do I think I can go faster? Absolutely.

Maybe next year I can focus on short course stuff, as I will be doing IMFL in November (my entire year will not be devoted to long course)

Event comments:

TTP is always at the top of its game.

Last updated: 2011-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:32 | 600 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/399
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:16 | 14.3 miles | 22.42 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:04 | 03.1 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-05 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed