General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-06 9:53 AM

User image

New user

Las Vegas
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Just signed up today for this event. This will be my first Olympic distance after two sprint events! I'm excited but quite nervous. Good news is that I have plenty of time to train!

2011-05-06 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3485242

User image

Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread
Congratulations!!!! I'm planning on doing the Oly as well..... That last hill on the bike looks brutal. I think I want to get to know her intimately before the race.

Good luck and welcome to BT!!!
2011-05-06 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
I signed up months ago... also first Oly after two Sprints =)
2011-05-06 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3485372

User image

Master
Sin City

crusevegas - 2011-05-06 9:00 AM Congratulations!!!! I'm planning on doing the Oly as well..... That last hill on the bike looks brutal. I think I want to get to know her intimately before the race.

Good luck and welcome to BT!!!

LOL!! Oh yeah!  I did Pumpkinman as my first Olympic last year. The hills were humbling. 

Not 100% if I'm going to do it this year because RTC Viva Bike Vegas is on the same day. What to do....

2011-05-06 10:01 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
RTC is on the same day?!?!  What IS it with this year?  I guess there goes RTC.  Make that a goal for next year.  Or see if I do RTC instead... train for both and do the one I'm best trained for.
2011-05-07 12:16 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
I did the Oly distance last year & loved it. The bike course is tough. I'm looking to do the HIM distance. I ride the RMT almost every Sunday. We usually add on the climb up Water Tower hill (last big hill of the race) and through Boulder City. Anyone is welcome to join us. Just PM me.

2011-07-23 4:30 PM

User image

how's everyone's training going. Any interest in a Saturday or Sunday hill workout in Boulder up that last hill?
2011-07-28 10:09 PM

Just signed up for this tri!  I'm so excited.  I've only done 1 sprint tri (at the last second, did not train for it) back in June.  Had such a blast I wanted to do an Olympic.  After registering, I noticed there is a bit of climbing on the bike portion.  I'm SO EXCITED about this because the bike is the only event I'm good at.  How much climbing is there?  Also, this will be my first lake swim which I'm nervous about.  I'm a horrific swimmer.  Any advice would be helpful.  Should I wear a wet suit?  It seems to be such a pain to pull it off for the bike.  Is the run up hill too?  I sure hope not...I'm super excited!  Any advice welcome.  I'm pretty clueless.  

We are currently training for LOTOJA (206 mile cycling race) so my time has been spent on the bike.  I run a couple times a week, but only a couple miles each time.  I am swimming once a week for an hour.  How much should I up the running/swimming?  It's hard because we are spending so many hours on the bike per week.  I will have a month between LOTOJA and this though, which will be helpful.  Thanks.  

2011-07-29 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3620013

User image

Master
Sin City
brihoopes - 2011-07-28 8:09 PM

Just signed up for this tri!  I'm so excited.  I've only done 1 sprint tri (at the last second, did not train for it) back in June.  Had such a blast I wanted to do an Olympic.  After registering, I noticed there is a bit of climbing on the bike portion.  I'm SO EXCITED about this because the bike is the only event I'm good at.  How much climbing is there?  Also, this will be my first lake swim which I'm nervous about.  I'm a horrific swimmer.  Any advice would be helpful.  Should I wear a wet suit?  It seems to be such a pain to pull it off for the bike.  Is the run up hill too?  I sure hope not...I'm super excited!  Any advice welcome.  I'm pretty clueless.  

We are currently training for LOTOJA (206 mile cycling race) so my time has been spent on the bike.  I run a couple times a week, but only a couple miles each time.  I am swimming once a week for an hour.  How much should I up the running/swimming?  It's hard because we are spending so many hours on the bike per week.  I will have a month between LOTOJA and this though, which will be helpful.  Thanks.  

The first part isn't too bad, but the last 5 or 6 miles is pure climbing.  River Mountain trail with twist and turns to the Water Tower. If you're a strong climber, you'll have no problem.  I am not that strong of a climber. I normally average between 14-15mph (yes I'm slow, but working on it!!), and I avg'd 12.5 mph on this Olympic bike course. 

Wetsuit is easy to come off after it's been wet. If you practice a lot, you'll be fine.   My advice - go for OWS a few times before the Olympic.  Go to Boulder Beach and practice with the swimming. When I did the olympic, the water was COLD, so you'll be glad to have a wetsuit.  If you go on Saturdays, go around 6am ish, and you'll see quite a few people practicing for future triathlons. 

There are some rolling hills on the run, but it's not that bad. I'm not much of a runner, and it was fine. Nothing too crazy. Only one small, but short, hill to deal with from what I remember.   If you practice on it, it'll be better.   The more you practice on the course, the better you'll be, and your nerves will settle a bit better.

Have fun and good luck!!

2011-08-22 3:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-08-22 10:01 PM

Regular
Logan, Utah
Are you familiar with the HIM Bike portion. Are there more hills on the HIM or is it just that first and last climb and then flat, or rollers, or?????? How is the aid station volunteer support? Any info on the Long Course would be helpful.

2011-08-22 11:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

up Up UP UP UP and then turn left toward the water tower and UP.  Did I mention it goes up?

I am opting for the RTC ride this year as I missed it last year and I have the State of Nevada Senior Olympic Swim meet for two days just before this.

Edited by SWIM2LIVE 2011-08-22 11:48 PM
2011-08-23 12:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-09-13 2:26 PM

New user

I am new to this event.  Any tips on how early to arrive?  Would anyone share elevation and/or maps to the bike/run for the olympic?  I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

2011-09-15 1:17 PM

Regular
Tucson

I looked at a map online of the RMT.  Wish the Pumpkin website had some maps of the actual bike and run.  Driving up from Tucson, it would be nice to see some of that information.

Beyond that, I just read a race review that talked about a 4000' gain during the bike.  Serious?  I knew it wasn't an easy course but really?  This will be my first tri in 7 years and I bought my first road bike a month ago (super-six) and I'm really nervous about the bike.  I've been doing bricks of 30miles/5miles with some elevation change but not freakin' 4000'!!!

2011-09-16 11:15 AM

Here is a page with the SBR maps.

Hope this helps.

2011-09-16 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3688188

Hipster - 2011-09-15 11:17 AM

I looked at a map online of the RMT.  Wish the Pumpkin website had some maps of the actual bike and run.  Driving up from Tucson, it would be nice to see some of that information.

Beyond that, I just read a race review that talked about a 4000' gain during the bike.  Serious?  I knew it wasn't an easy course but really?  This will be my first tri in 7 years and I bought my first road bike a month ago (super-six) and I'm really nervous about the bike.  I've been doing bricks of 30miles/5miles with some elevation change but not freakin' 4000'!!!

I guess it's possible in the oly for their to be 4,000 ft of climbing but that sounds a little high to me.

NO way is there 4,000 ft of gain (net gain), the swim exit is about 1,200 ft ASL and T2 is about 2,500 ft ABS, the last hill is a
2011-09-16 8:10 PM

Regular
Tucson

You, my friend, are a lifesaver.  I remember seeing those maps but never clicking on them then I forgot about them.  Thanks for posting the link.  Looks like the bike will be fine until mile 16 when it's all uphill from there.  The out and back run is a killer at the turn around point.  I'll make some notes and drive the course (what I can) on Fri a.m.  Sweet!!

Can't wait for my post race meal at L.A. Pastrami!  My brother wants to go to Hot and Juicy Crawfish.  We'll see who wins!

Thanks for calming my nerves!!

2011-09-18 6:38 PM

Expert
Las Vegas
Looks like I'm in for the Oly!  This will be my last tri before IMAZ. See you all on race morning!Cool
2011-10-10 10:32 AM

Regular
Tucson

Hope everyone's training and taper is going well!  If y'all see some chump with a black Desoto long sleeve skin cooler top on, say hello.  I'll have the 40 age group/olympic marking on my calf with the whitest set of shaved legs you will have ever seen.

Tom

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed