General Discussion Race Reports! » Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Southern Nevada Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Southern Nevada - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to CVS to get food - ate, and then went with my friends to the start at Fremont street. There was 12 of us, 11 of them were walking the 5K, and for all of them this is their first "race", and for a few, this is their first "walk" exercise. One of my friends who attended is a 3-month Breast Cancer Survivor, so I got the team together to do this for her. I also was doing this for my fiance's mother (survivor), and my former speech teacher - Tracy Day (In Memory).

I tried to focus on just pacing myself, and not worry so much, and see how far I can go without walking. I am hoping for a small PR, but not expecting a huge PR. I did not want to go race pace at all.

Announced to my group that Dena (the survivor) will be training for her first Half Marathon in the fall. :-) Breast cancer changed her life. She started to realize the more important things, and decided that she wants to try a half marathon and a triathlon. I was super stoked. :-P
Event warmup:

Walked to the starting line, and did some high kicks, butt kicks, and light stretching. Calves were especially feeling great.
Run
  • 36m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Started to run with my friend, and felt pretty good, and told myself to PACE yourself, and try your best not to stop. After about 4 minutes, my friend had to stop, so I dropped her. I felt a little bad, but I knew she'll understand.

I just ran as much as I could until I needed a slight walking break. I think I stopped around 12 minutes, and I'll say that's pretty d@mn good. After about 30 seconds of just catching my breath a little and trying to look back and see if I can find my friend. Kept on running. Personally, I don't think I should have stopped, I felt really good to go, but I think I was being a little too cautious.

Kept on running, and totally missed the 2 mile sign (which I kind of got slightly mad because I wanted to see my splits).

After about 8 minutes, I realized that I was going too fast, causing my breathing to get a little erratic. Slowed down a lot, and walked for a minute. I was getting really really hot, and had to go to the bathroom, but I was able to hold it for a while. It did slow me down a little, but not too bad.

Suddenly I was hearing the cheers of the crowd at the finish line. I saw the finish, and I just sprinted to the finish mat.

Felt AWESOME throughout the whole race. I think I really got my pacing down pat and breathing down really well. So I've learned to ignore the time for distance, but focus on my pacing instead of going out too fast. Worked really well today. Far from race pace, but it's perfect for a nice training run.

After I crossed the finish line, I seriously felt like I could go again. Found my friend about 10 minutes later, then I ran (yes - I RAN) for about 7 minutes back to where my group was heading in. Then I walked to the finish line with my Survivor friend and all of us linking arms. They all had smiles on their face and they were happy to say, "Wow! That's a great personal achievement!"
What would you do differently?:

NOOOOOOTHING!!!

One thing though - they didn't provide COLD water, instead, they provided warm water. I tried to take a little water here and there, but it was awful, so I just kept myself cool by pouring water on my head.

Other than that - it was a PERFECT run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a lot, stretched my calves and quads.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This is a "training run", and pacing lesson.

Event comments:

Charity race/walk - lots of food at the end. Expo was smaller than last year. Kinda puzzled with the low amount of Porta Potties. There used to be a HUGE amount (maybe 10-15?) of Porta Potties at the start line. Really disappointed that there wasn't ONE there. It was there last year, I don't know what happened this year.

Other than those two minor issues, it was great to participate again. I will do this again next year, and hopefully for a few of them, they'll run next year.

Last updated: 2011-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:26 | 03.1 miles | 11m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Flat - out and around streets near Fremont.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-07 6:38 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
Subject: Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Southern Nevada
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Southern Nevada Rss Feed