Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Company
Total Time = 3h 36m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and ate an english muffin with peanut butter. I had planned to also eat a banana but I just wasn't hungry so early in the morning. Drank a bottle of water to keep hydrating since it was going to be a hot day. The temps topped off at 100 but luckily it was only about 90 when I finished. We left the house (my niece was also racing) about 5:00 since we were ready and had nothing left to do:)
We got to Tempe Town Park and set up our stuff and then watched the sprint waves go off.
Event warmup:

My warm up was basically jumping in the lake and swimming to the swim start. The was was 73 and felt great.
Swim
  • 43m 16s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my best race swim yet. I only have 4 to compare to but still! I had spent a couple of days just telling myself to stay calm and avoid those panic moments, stroke slow and steady and swim from buoy to buoy. The course was a triangle and sighting going out was hard because we were staring at the sun coming up so I just followed the girls in front of me. This is the first swim where I didn't have to take a break and catch my breath. This was a big breakthrough for me :) I pr'd the swim by over 8 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing for this swim. I wasn't very fast but getting though it calmly and swimming consistently made my day!
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Planned ahead and thought through what I needed to do in transition and cut my T1 time by 1/2 from my last race. I must of been having breakfast last time ;)
Bike
  • 1h 36m 41s
  • 40 kms
  • 24.82 km/hr
Comments:

I liked that this was a 2 loop course. It was fun knowing that I knew where all the turns were the 2nd time around. I wanted to stay around 15 mph and I was able to do that. I'm not very fast on the bike but I'm getting faster with time. Pr'd from my last race by 20 min. I drank a nutrition bottle and a bottle of water during the bike and stayed pretty hydrated. I lost some power on the 2nd loop which I think is both the heat getting to me and just still working up my fitness.

I would of liked to push a little harder on the bike but I'm mentally still working on wondering if I'd still have enough in my legs for the run especially with the heat.
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Another good T for me. It was fun trying to get out of there in a hurry.
Run
  • 1h 12m 2s
  • 10 kms
  • 07m 12s  min/km
Comments:

The run was a 2 loop course on the path around Tempe Lake. They added an additional water station because of the heat which was wonderful. I started at a good pace and took 2 cups at every water stop. One for me and one for my head. I took a few walk breaks to get my heart rate down and because it was frigging hot by this time! I didn't pr the run but was still happy to get it done.

I'm planning on doing more hot afternoon runs during my training. I probably could of pushed myself a little more on the run but I think that's going to come with better fitness and experience.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and stretched. Had some Muscle Milk.

Event comments:

Red Rock Company puts on a great race. Lots and lots of volunteers and all very organized. I had my first wetsuit stripper experience and that was kind of fun :)

This was only my second Oly and I PR'd by almost 25 minutes! I did better then the goals I set for the day and overall I'm happy with my first tri of the season. I know some new things to work on and I'm excited to get back to training.

I've come to the conclusion that Arizona has some pretty competitive athletes :) I came in 9/9 even with getting faster. I looked up the results from my first Oly and if I had come in with my Tempe time I would of come in 10/25. I'm not looking to podium anytime soon but it was nice to know that I was racing with some fast 50-54 years olds!

My niece Molly raced too and it was such a fun weekend together. Thanks for all the encouragement Molly!

Last updated: 2010-12-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:16 | 1500 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:36:41 | 40 kms | 24.82 km/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 loop course around Tempe. Pretty flat except for some small hills over the overpasses.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:12:02 | 10 kms | 07m 12s  min/km
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-08 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
Subject: Iron Gear Sports Rio Salado Tri

2011-05-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3487680

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: RE: Iron Gear Sports Rio Salado Tri
Hey, awesome job! Was getting hot on the run......
2011-05-08 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Congrats on such a HUGE drop in your time! That's fabulous that you were faster on the swim and bike. The run time will speed up in time. =) Good work!!
2011-05-08 6:18 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Johanne! That is a terrific Oly race! First one? If so, even better! Way to go Maybe you need a bike cam too
2011-05-08 10:45 PM
in reply to: #3488135

User image

Expert
San Jose

BbMoozer - 2011-05-08 4:18 PM Johanne! That is a terrific Oly race! First one? If so, even better! Way to go Maybe you need a bike cam too

This was my second Oly. Last year I did 3 sprints and finished with an Oly. I think a little more experience has paid off Don't give me ideas about a bike cam! You know what trouble I can get into!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Gear Sports Rio Salado Tri Rss Feed