Kansas City Express
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 28m 26s
Overall Rank = 221/3567
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/282
Pre-race routine:

Usual breakfast of oats and half banana.
Event warmup:

We arrived a little late so my warm-up consisted of running from the portapotties to the start line! This was not a good warm up. Next time need to allow plenty of time.
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not drink on the run, which is my normal practice for a 5k. Was slightly thirsty during the race but not extreme.

Just a very disappointing run. My goal was to run with no pain (mission accomplished) and to run under a 9:00 mile. Missed that. It was SOOO hard. I think most of the difficulty was due to: lack of training volume (my PR was right after marathon training), lack of speedwork training, and mostly lack of discipline with food and subsequent weight gain! I ran my PR in December at 118. Today I was 132. I am a fat pig!!
What would you do differently?:

Get there early enough to leisurely visit the port a potties and then warm up with a mile or so. I'd also come in at a good racing weight, lol. I would have had decent sleep the night or two before, which did not happen this time. I just felt slow and sluggish.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little bit and stretched. Ate too much wheat-containing race day crap like Krispie Kreme donuts, brownies, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Excess fat, crappy nutrition, lack of speed work and cardiovascular fitness. I can't blame this on the shoes! Or knee for that matter, lol.

Event comments:

I am a bit biased because my running group puts on this race, but I love the Mother's Day 5k. Just wish my performance were better.

Last updated: 2011-05-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:26 | 03.1 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/282
Overall: 221/3567
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 - 8:51 Mile 2 - 9:11 Mile 3 - 9:06 Average heart rate 168. Was in zone 4 the entire run. Felt very hard cardiovascularly. Was literally sucking wind the whole time. Had the urge to stop and walk in a 5k, no less!!
Course: Corporate woods is very pleasant and, though it has a few rolling hills, is about as flat as Kansas City has. I loved all the "mommism" signs and saw the two I made with the Express.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes