View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Total Time = 5h 55m 28s
Overall Rank = /1600
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 530a. Breakfast taco and chocolate milk (regular race day breakfast). At site by 630a. Chatted with a buddy.
Bike
  • 5h 55m 28s
  • 96.41 miles
  • 16.27 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tale of two rides. I hooked up with an ironman buddy at the beginning and tagged along for 12mi or so avg'ing 22mph. I then fell back but quickly found another group to hang with. We did the first hour at 21mph. Then at mile 22, IT happened. I was riding in a pace line of about 20 people and we were really cruising along great. Then the IDIOT in front of me, for some unknown reason, slammed on his breaks to the point he locked them up (there were other riders in front of him and they didn't brake so I know he didn't need to brake like he did). I think he got too close to the person in front of him and panicked and slammed on his brakes. Well, needless to say I could not break fast enough and ran right into him causing me to crash and go sliding to the ground. I somehow did not hit anyone else but I slid on my left hip right out into the road where a car barely missed hitting me by about a foot. I quickly got up and got out of the road. Bike was a little messed up but nothing I could not fix. The idiot who caused the crash did not even stop, but a few of the other guys did. I am pretty scraped up on my left hip (tore my brand new shorts) left arm, left knee, and left ankle.

Anyway, there I am bleeding down my entire left side and I hop back on the bike. Joined another group and made my first pit stop around mile 34. I was still avg'ing over 20mph at this point and felt good. Injuries were not really bothering me. Found a first aid kit and cleaned up my wounds. Saw another buddy at this stop and so hooked up with him and we ended up in another group. You had to stay in groups out there. It was very windy and only got worse as the day went on. Roads were nice and fairly smooth so far.

Stayed with the group until the rest stop at the halfway point. Took my time here as I really wanted to make sure I was well hydrated and had some food in me. I was still avg'ing 19-20mph by this stop and was feeling pretty good. My buddy had already taken off and so I ended up riding alone leaving this stop. Not a good move, but the problem was by this time the big crowds were all spaced out and hard to find a good group at the right speed. I still did well between this stop and the next one at 64. Found a few people at my speed and hung with them. The roads were getting much rougher as we were more out in the country. The wind was picking up even more too. Got to the mile 64 stop and felt good. I could tell I didn't have a whole lot left in me though. My avg was right at 19mph at this point. It was all down hill after this (and not in a good way).

There were hardly any big groups left at this point. It was every man for himself. The wind was atrocious by this point and the first 1.5mi after the stop was the worst road I have ever been on. It was a rough county road to begin with, then it looked like there were small holes all along the surface that had been dug out as if they were prepping it to resurface. It was horrible timing. Just coming out of the rest, having to deal with a 20-25mph wind in your face and this road that was just shaking you to pieces. It was only 1.5mi but it wore me out. Water bottles were bouncing out of cages left and right (mine miraculously stayed in place). Anyway, after this my legs just didn't have any oomph any more. I was toast. My seat was in pain from sitting on the saddle, my legs were dead tired and felt close to cramping, and my back began to hurt. My back was bad. It was hurting so bad that it hurt to take breaths. My wife thinks it was from the crash (and I am sure that didn't help), but I am not sure if it was that or just from the riding position.

Anyway, each mile after the 64mi stop was a struggle for me. There were a few times were I thought I couldn't do this, but then I would just tell myself that it didn't matter how fast I was going but to just keep peddling. One mile at a time. I made it to the 75mi stop and took my time again.

After this stop I struggled mile by mile to the next stop at 86. Laid out on the grass in the shade to try and stretch my back out. I heard the route was only about 97 instead of 100 so realized I only needed about 11 more miles. I knew I could do this. My seat was probably numb at this point as it was not really bothering much anymore sitting but my back was still killing me with every breath.

Took off from this stop and hit a bunch of hills (great!). I keep hearing people talk after it was all over about how bad the last 10mi were with all the hills and the wind in your face. Everyone was struggling along at 7-13mph. They were these mile long rolling hills. You climb one, then from the top you see the road drop a little and then climb to the next horizon. This went on for miles. But I didn't care what my speed was anymore. I knew I was going to finish at this point.

I trudged along and finally finished. Ended up being 96.41mi. My longest ride ever. Previous best was 65mi. Just for reference...avg'd 19mph for 64mi then 13mph for the last 32mi. Final avg was 16.3. A little disappointed in that but happy I finished. Ride started at 7am. I finished around 2pm.

This was THE HARDEST thing I have ever done in my life. I think if it wasn't for the wind it would have been much more enjoyable.

At the end I was so worn out and did not feel well. I ate just a little and didn't drink any beer. I ended up laying in the shade and dozed off a few times. I finally hopped on the bus to head back to Austin (this was around 330pm and there were still people riding in). But, guess what, half way back the bus breaks down. Ended up waiting for 35min for another bus to get to us and take us back. Picked up my bike, which had already been shipped back to the start line and rushed home.
What would you do differently?:

Do the 50mi ride instead!! Or pick a year we have the wind at our back.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a brat, cole slaw, and a sprite. Laid in the shade.

Got home and got my wife to give me a good back massage where I was feeling the pain during the ride. Cleaned up my wounds. Popped a bunch of advil. Didn't tell her I slid out into the road on my crash and almost got hit by the car...she probably wouldn't ever let me ride again if she knew that.

Crashed that night before 9pm. Exhausted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind

Event comments:

Rest stops were pretty weak. For a 100mi ride, I expected much more out of them. Maybe some cold towels or ice to use to help cool us down. Food choices were pretty much oranges, bananas, and pb&j. Some stops had no shade what so ever.

This was a hard ride. A combination of wind and rough roads in the 2nd half really drains you. I won't be doing the 100mi ride again but might do the 50.

I didn't like how once you got back to the start the bikes were just lying on the ground. No one was watching them and anyone could just walk off with your bike. I expected a secure area. Very disappointing since I paid $25 for the bus ride back.

For such a big ride I expected a lot more. I've had much better rest stops at smaller rides. The roads were well marked and major intersections all had police coverage. The finishing party was also decent but the food and lack of choices (your choices were 1 or 2 brats and then cole slaw if you want it) was just ok.

Last updated: 2011-03-14 12:00 AM
Biking
05:55:28 | 96.41 miles | 16.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1600
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Zig-zag course from Austin to Shiner. Generally heading SE most of the time right into the 20-25mph wind.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right