United States
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 46s
Overall Rank = 77/160
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 6/19
Pre-race routine:

I arrived early enough to get good parking but didn't consider that many people wouldn't show due to weather (it was pouring rain and 50F). I ate my oatmeal in the car and then picked up my packet and got ready. I set up my stuff in transition, covered it with a plastic bag and then went into the pool to watch the earlier heats take off.
Event warmup:

When it was time for my heat, I jumped in the pool with everyone else and immediately swam a 50. I had to race back in order to start on time (we had NO warmup time because of people in the heat in front of us taking so long to finish!), so I literally swam back from my warm up, touched the wall and headed out for the race! I hit my stop watch but apparently not effectively as it never started.
Swim
  • 12m 17s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went OK. I was in position 2 in my lane so I let the two people behind me go ahead after 50m and that was a mistake as they immediately slowed down. I spent the next 100m trying not to run into them! Then my timing chip almost fell off so I had to stop at the wall and re-attach it. I swam the last 300m very smoothly and actually ended up catching up to the other three swimmers before we finished. This tells me that I should have held my number 2 position in the lane. Overall, the swim went well. I finished 1 minute faster than last year and I felt about 1000 times better (more relaxed) than I did back then as last year, it was an all out effort for me.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I'll make sure to start my watch correctly so that I'd have at least some idea of my swim time!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 went fine. It poured rain while we were in the pool, so all of our stuff was drenched. Total transition was a tad long as I took the time to put on a jacket for the bike (it was only 50F and cloudy/rainy).
Bike
  • 43m 48s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.44 mile/hr
Comments:

This sucked. Even before the first big hill, I was sick. I threw up, TWICE! I have no idea what happened, but I was miserable. It took everything I had not to just quit. The last two miles into transition were flat, so I was able to recover a bit, but this was by far one of my worst bike legs EVER. Serious suckage. I cannot believe that I was actually SLOWER than last year. I'm lighter, in much better shape, the course was shorter and I was on a TT bike and yet I was SLOWER!! UGH.

First of all, I'd give myself more of a taper before a hilly race course. My legs didn't feel fresh from the begining. Secondly, I'd avoid swallowing so much pool water. I *think* that's what made me sick. Either that, or someone spiked my water while my bike sat in transition! ;-)
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

T2 went fine. I was seriously considering just quitting, but decided to try running to see how I felt.
Run
  • 31m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I *almost* didn't bother with the run after my awful bike leg. I contemplated just racking my bike and walking away but since I was feeling a little better, I figured I'd give it a shot. It felt ok. I had ZERO with which to gauge my effort (no watch, no GPS), so I went totally on feel. I did have my HR and based on that, should have pushed a little, but I was afraid of throwing up again. At least I had privacy on the bike - the run course was too populated for barfing! I ran at what felt like was an easy pace and only picked it up a touch when the finish line was in sight. At least the weather was just right for me (I hate heat).

In retrospect, I could have probably pushed harder on the run. I think if I'd had my GPS or even a stop watch, I would have. My calves were also still sore from a hilly run on Wed, so next time, I won't do that before the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around waiting for some friends to finish and then headed back to the pool to change for the post-race cookout that some of my friends put on. It was really difficult to know that I'd put in a very disappointing performance, have no race times to see and to watch so many of my friends get awards. I was happy for them, but really unhappy for me. It didn't help that it was dreary and freezing and that my husband opted to not come and cheer me on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Next time, I'll rest more leading up to the race so that my legs are in top condition before it starts. I'll also be more aware of the dangers of swallowing pool water! Lastly, I'll definitely make sure to have at least a watch if not a GPS so that I have some way of monitoring my performance during the race. I guess I'm happy that I finished the race, but I had such high hopes for this year and it was a major disappointment to have it go so poorly. I guess there is always next year, right?

Event comments:

Once again, a well organized race. They had some problems with timing mats or chips, so many of us had no swim time until after T1. Because of this, no results were posted at the race itself. They were very quick to get the results up online (same day), so I think they did the best they could under the circumstances.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:17 | 500 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/160
Performance: Average
Unknown swim time - 12:17 is swim PLUS transition time. My guess is that my swim time was right at 10 min and my T1 time was about 2:15.
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:48 | 12 miles | 16.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 66/160
Performance: Bad
Wind:
Course: Curvy and then hilly and then rollers. Beautiful course but very lonely!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:26 | 03.1 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/19
Overall: 114/160
Course: Very flat course. Two loops around track.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes