United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 39s
Overall Rank = 383/714
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/34
Pre-race routine:

(Just as a side note: I was 80th woman overall, out of 218. This was definitely a male-heavy race, similar to last week.)

Since we were staying right next to transition and the bike had already been racked, didn't need to get up until about 4:50a. Made coffee, warmed water for oatmeal, and got dressed. Walked over to transition to get body marked and set up, then headed back to the room for last potty stop and wetsuit donning. Joey drew a heart on my calf with Richard's initials...this one was for my hubby.
Event warmup:

No warmup for me for such a long race. I got in the water so I knew what it felt like and to get my wetsuit wet. And, of course, to pee.
Swim
  • 43m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had a bit of wave action the first few hundred yards. I struggled to the first 2 buoys, getting discombobulated and slightly dizzy, before finally settling in. Even then, I took it pretty slow until I finally felt comfortable. After that, it was mostly uneventful. A couple of times, it got a bit crowded when waves behind caught up, but otherwise, I felt like I was swimming alone. My time was significantly better than I anticipated, given the rough start, and 2 minutes faster than my 2007 GCT race, which makes it my fastest legitimate swim at that distance (I don't consider Augusta legitimate). Finally, I think my swim is making progress, and it's beginning to show.
What would you do differently?:

If I hadn't let the waves at the start get to me, I probably could have shaved a minute or so off my time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

Given that my T1 time in 2007 was over 8 minutes, I would say this is a huge improvement. I ran from the beach to my bike and was very methodical about putting myself together for the ride.

Just need to cut my wetsuit so I can pull it off faster.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.35 mile/hr
Comments:

I would have liked a wee bit faster on the bike, but I think the wind probably sucked back a couple of minutes. I felt strong and as if I was riding fairly hard from start to finish. The "detours" helped to break up the wind some, which was mostly a crosswind on 79, but really hit us in the face when we came back along the beach. I had to pee for a lot of the ride, and finally hit a porta-john right before the last stretch on 79 (about 15 miles or so to go). Wow! I've never peed that much in a race. Apparently, I was doing a good job with hydration.

Despite wanting to see a time about 3 minutes or so faster, I don't think this ride could have been better. Effort felt perfect.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

My 2007 T2 was in the 4-minute range. Yeah. Much improved.

Nada.
Run
  • 2h 08m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah...the run. It has been my nemesis for much of triathlon and no more so than at the half ironman distance. Rarely do I feel as if I run to my potential. I felt good about my first run at GCT in 2007 (2:29), but I knew that I could run a stronger pace. Well, I finally did. I walked the first couple of minutes 'cause I wanted to get a gel in me, but after that I settled in. The miles started clicking off, and I was thrilled I was able to keep it under 10 min/mile pace...in the past, I could barely pull off 11 min/mile, if that. Again, I felt great, in control, and strong. I was passing people, and only walking the water stops to make sure I got hydrated and cooled. For a bit, I thought I might scooch in under 6 hours (2:06 run), but started to slow with 5k left to go. That was okay, though. I don't think this run could have been better.

Skip the potty, but really this was just about perfect for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, got through the phalynx of medals, water, towels, chip removal, picture...and then, burst into tears. No Richard. Found some friends to hug, drank water and a beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the challenging start to the swim...other than that, I think it went just as well as it could.

Last updated: 2010-09-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:29 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/34
Overall: 564/714
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: About half a mile straight out, left turn, another couple hundred yards, swim back to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:49
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:03:07 | 56 miles | 18.35 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/34
Overall: 489/714
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out along the beach, up and down 79 with two out-and-back detours.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:08:27 | 13.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/34
Overall: 291/714
Course: Flat out-and-back along PCB roads with a loop in the park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes