General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5150 Clearwater Nov 12, 2011 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-12 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: 5150 Clearwater Nov 12, 2011

I know this race is 6 months away, but I am not a Florida resident, and this is going to be a special race for me. I plan to do this race as my first Olympic distance. I will be flying in to do a friend's wedding on the evening of Friday the 11th. (11-11-11). I am staying between Clearwater and Orlando at a resort. I will be renting a car so I can get to athlete checkin, the race, and then the Tampa airport.

I checked with the organizers, and though I need to be present for my own athlete check in of course, I was advised that I am allowed to have another registered athlete check-in my bike at the Friday bike check-in. This is probably the only way I will be able to fit the race into my schedule.

As I'm not traveling with anyone, and I'm an out-of-stater, I don't have any idea right now how I will go about making this happen, but I thought I would start looking for help here now.

2011-05-12 7:18 AM
in reply to: #3495007

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: 5150 Clearwater Nov 12, 2011

where will u be on Friday?  Plan on a 30min drive from TPA to Clw Bch (traffic), Not sure where the athlete chekin will be (maybe at the beach?).  I live East of Tampa and always count on a good hour and change drive heading to the beach, but a lil less coming back (traffic patterns???)   If you'll be in Polk Cty, add 15-30 mins to be safe.

Hope that helped you at least get started.

2011-05-12 7:49 AM

User image

Expert

Are you asking for someone to help you get the bike there?  You may want to just ask that so people are aware.

I would have offered my help but will be gone by then

bike check in starts at 2 on Friday, This literally takes 5 minutes, you have an assigned spot and put your bike in it.  Maybe you could check in and run back to Otown, depending on the wedding time, or if you are in it?

I am sure someone will help you move the bike if thats what needs to happen

2011-05-12 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran

I live in Largo (10 minutes from the beach) and work in Tampa.  I will be volunteering again this year at Clearwater.  If you need help checking your bike in I would be more than happy to assit.  Send me a PM and we can go over logistics as the time gets closer.

Are you flying into Tampa International on Friday?  I work 10 minutes from there.  I did pro and elite amateur transportion for St. Anthony's this year.  I drove Philip Ospaly(overall winner) and Adam Webber (1st in Elite Amateur) .  Both those guys were real down to earth and humble.

I look foward to volunteering again this year at Clearwater as I had so much fun for the last one.  I did athlete check in  for two days and on race day I worked security on the causeway, sorry to all of you I made get off the median just east of the roundy round.   I was able to get into the finish area 2 minutes before Michael Raelert came across the line and give us all an epic display of gratitude and showmanship.  He could of earned and emmy that day, lol.  It was like a frat party in the finishers corral after, those guys all showed great class. 

2011-05-12 8:55 AM
in reply to: #3495225

User image

Expert
sczarnecki - 2011-05-12 9:34 AM

I live in Largo (10 minutes from the beach) and work in Tampa.  I will be volunteering again this year at Clearwater.  If you need help checking your bike in I would be more than happy to assit.  Send me a PM and we can go over logistics as the time gets closer.

Are you flying into Tampa International on Friday?  I work 10 minutes from there.  I did pro and elite amateur transportion for St. Anthony's this year.  I drove Philip Ospaly(overall winner) and Adam Webber (1st in Elite Amateur) .  Both those guys were real down to earth and humble.

I look foward to volunteering again this year at Clearwater as I had so much fun for the last one.  I did athlete check in  for two days and on race day I worked security on the causeway, sorry to all of you I made get off the median just east of the roundy round.   I was able to get into the finish area 2 minutes before Michael Raelert came across the line and give us all an epic display of gratitude and showmanship.  He could of earned and emmy that day, lol.  It was like a frat party in the finishers corral after, those guys all showed great class. 

hmm conspiracy? Are you pumping pure O2 while driving, providing PE drugs, it just happens the 2 winners rolled in with you? I am thinking we need to have a background check done! Let me guess you played little leauge with Barry Bonds too!

Tongue out

2011-05-12 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3495276

User image

Veteran

Lol, no I didn’t play little league with Barry Bonds. I picked up 11 total guys and gals that day.  I volunteered through the St. A's website for Home stay program.  The home stay program is hosted through the Mad Dog Tri club and we all know how an expensive flight, meals, entry fees, hotels and taxi’s cost.  I applaud Mad Dog's for helping these athletes out. They all appreciated the ride and the housing and hospitality.  What were the odds of me having both winners, super slim....ask Adam about the "almost" Zipp Disk incident on the bridge.

I expressed my desire to do transportation and I have a 4 door Nissan Titan.  I wasn't going to volunteer to help set up the course or transition, I’ve done that the night before a race for free entry.  It's not worth it!

I work for a company that believes in volunteering and helping others out.  In fact I will actually get paid to volunteer at Clearwater and have another great time. Little will they know I will be doing something I would have done for free but hey, it sure beats using vacation time?

I’m sure everyone here has reached out for help one way or another, so if I can help a fellow out then that good.  I’m sure anyone logistically would do the same if they could.  I'm also the guy who was asking if anyone needed a ride into St.A's on Sunday morning. The more I type the more I sound like a stalker.......................

2011-05-12 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3495276

User image

Veteran
ajusf16 - 2011-05-12 9:55 AM
sczarnecki - 2011-05-12 9:34 AM

hmm conspiracy? Are you pumping pure O2 while driving, providing PE drugs, it just happens the 2 winners rolled in with you? I am thinking we need to have a background check done! Let me guess you played little leauge with Barry Bonds too!

It wasn't O2 we were huffing in the cabin as we sang "Electric Avenue" by Eddie Grant, lol.  Hey...YOU DONT WORK FOR WADA DO YOU??

Tongue out

2011-05-12 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I will definitely PM you about this, sczarnecki. I really appreciate the help.

Schedule comes down to this:

Thursday, fly in. If possible, check in and drop off bike. Then I drive to ChampionsGate where I have a room at the resort for the wedding, with a 6pm rehearsal dinner, so I should be checking in as early as possible Thursday.

This means you or someone would have my bike overnight, which I realize could be a huge pain, but then I avoid a round trip on Friday, cutting it close to return for a 4:30 wedding. Really close.

2011-05-12 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3496562

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
TheClaaaw - 2011-05-12 9:49 PM

This means you or someone would have my bike overnight, which I realize could be a huge pain, but then I avoid a round trip on Friday, cutting it close to return for a 4:30 wedding. Really close.

Claaaw - be sure to have more than one route plotted back to Champions Gate.  I-4 is the quickest, but if for any reason hell breaks loose, it becomes a 70 mile long parking lot.  I suggest you look into SR92 and SR60, both sort of parallel to I4 but south of it.  Hopefully you won't need any of that but prevention is key to success - and arriving on time to your friend's wedding. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5150 Clearwater Nov 12, 2011 Rss Feed