Leavenworth Historical Society
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 28m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had oats with raisins and brown sugar at 5:00am for an 8:00 am start. Had half a Honey Stinger bar around 7:30 because I was getting hungry!
Event warmup:

None. Photo opp with the Half Fanatics.
Run
  • 2h 28m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Second half marathon in 2 days (when I am really not trained for this much mileage all at once!) so it was for fun and not time. I actually felt stronger today than yesterday. My feet were tired and my left calf cramped up at about mile 11 (including strong pain on the downhill to the finish which was a killer having to stop and walk right at the end when otherwise I was feeling good)!!

Had a Gu Roctane at about mile 2, sipped gatorade at every other aid station, and used the blueberry pomegranate Gu chews. Yum! This would not be good in a race situation because I would choke on them, but it was fine for a fun run. I had plenty of energy. It was more that my legs were just tired at the end.
What would you do differently?:

Not run a half marathon the day before? LOL. This was for fun. It was fine and I wouldn't really change anything.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and did a little stretching. Probably should have stretched more.

Had a few snacks right at the finish, and then made a cold Endurox (1 scoop) in the car. Then headed to McDonalds for a bacon, egg & cheese biscuit and mocha. Need to remember to drink the Endurox but save my calories for a yummy breakfast, rather than munching on stale donuts and half bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not my goal in this race.

Event comments:

Course is challenging for racing, but fine for a fun run. Was a decent race and would do it again. Long (1 hour) drive but nice park-like surroundings.

Last updated: 2011-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:28:23 | 13.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Garmin died before 8 miles. This is the second time this has happened. Thank goodness this was a "fun run" and not for time.
Course: Two MONSTER hills (including one right at the start, and then at about mile 3) but there were nice downhills and then a rolling hilly course. Very challenging, but pleasant. Plentiful aid stations and enthusiastic volunteers. Would run it again for "fun." Definitely not a course to PR.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes