Immanuel Baptist Church
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I didn't really do much special for this race. I'm so happy that I'm finally to the point where I can just "do" a 5k without much thought. I woke up early and relaxed in bed for a little bit, then ate a granola bar and sipped some water before driving to the Gateway Southern Miss.
Event warmup:

Standing around stretching and talking to my friend. I was running with her to pace her so really didn't think I would be pushing on this race.
Run
  • 30m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I was running with a friend for this race, her current P.R. is 35:30 for a 5k and she wasn't really going for another P.R. so I figured this would just be a nice slow run. We started off and she took off a little faster than I thought we should, so I hung back just a tiny bit and she slowed down to match my pace. I usually go out slow and get faster with each mile. I held a steady pace and she stayed with me. We made it to the turn around and I told her we had to kick it up a notch. She hung with me until we had about 3/4 mile to go. There was a clump of people about 75 yards in front of us and I said we need to catch them. I picked up my pace and yelled for her to stay with me. She started falling back and told me to keep going. I started catching the group at the half mile to go mark and picked up my pace more. With just less than a quarter mile left I passed the last person in the group and was on my own. I was breathing hard but my legs felt great. I carried a nice pace across the finish line for another personal best, which really surprised me. My friend finished in 32:35 to set another P.R. for herself. I ran beside her the last 100 feet or so yelling at her to keep it up.
What would you do differently?:

I think I can start off a little faster and still have some left at the end for a final kick. My breathing wasn't labored at all until the final 1/2 mile when I really picked up the pace. It just felt like a nice sunday stroll so the next race I do alone I need to really work on starting faster and holding that pace, then giving a final push the last 1/2 to 1/4 mile. I know I will break the 30 minute barrier in my next race.
Post race
Warm down:

I grabbed a powerade then walked back up the trail a hundred feet or so and waited for my friend. I ran beside her to the finish. I ate a banana and we stood around talking and waiting for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running with a friend, although I don't think I would have run much faster than I did. It was a comfortable pace and I felt great.

Event comments:

This was a good little race, although it had a small turnout. The shirts were really cute and it was well organized. Winners got a goodie bag, so I wish I had placed, mainly because I was curious what was in the bag. There were some door prizes and they had water, powerade and bananas for post race. Overall I was pleased for such a small race.

Last updated: 2011-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:25 | 03.11 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on the Longleaf Trace. Very flat, tree lined and narrow so it kept the sun exposure low and there was a bit of a breeze blowing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes